Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I will start this off. I received mine at 8am CST. I have some initial thoughts and hope everyone else that received theirs can chime in as well. First the Pros:

* Best N-Trig inking experience bar none. I can barely tell the difference from a Wacom digitizer. Very quiet when writing, much better than the HP Slate 500.
    * Thin and light. Doesnt feel much heavier than my iPad 2.
    * Bright, matte screen. Can view outdoors somewhat, better than most.
    * Removable battery. Battery life with 4 cell is about 7 hrs with some power saving settings.
    * 10.1" is the perfect size for a mobile Windows tablet.
    * No fan. Very quiet.
    * rubberized back for easy holding.
    * tons of accessories
    * Durable build quality.
    * Touch friendly overlay.

CONS:

* Gets too hot on the bottom. There were a couple of instances where it became too hot for me to hold it.
    * Very slow. I found this much slower than the HP Slate 500.
    * Matte screen not great for watching video or pictures. Because of the slow processor, do not plan on watching any streaming media with this. 480p videos on YouTube were struggling.
    * Very poor touch response on the screen. It might be the extra layer of the matte screen, but I found myself double and triple tapping several times and the virtual keyboard is painful. I find the touch response on the HP Slate to be much better.
    * Terrible speaker. Very difficult to hear sounds even on the highest setting. This is a business device, so not a surprise that the audio is sub par.
    * The battery fits loosely and causes some wobble in that area. Should not be a problem when the case is available.
    * No volume rocker buttons, so all sound must be controlled through software.
    * The stylus has the same defective top that the HP Slate had. Expect to get that replaced at some point.
    * Poor quality WiFi adapter. Connection about half the speed.of the HP Slate.
    * No video driver update available to fix liberate problem even though Fujitsu includes a notice in the box to update it immediately.
    * LED panel is not glued on straight. Mine is off center to Yeh point where part of the front camera is covered up.

That is what I have found so far. I am pretty picky and most of these giggles won't bother most users. If you are looking for the best N-Trig inking experience and just want to use Office Docs, OneNote and basic processing this is the best option. If you want to watch videos and movies the HP Slate and EP121 do it better. I would be all over this tablet, but the heat, poor performance and bad touch experience will allow me to pass and either keep my HP Slate or stick with the HTC Flyer until another option is available. I hope that I just had a bad unit and your experiences will be much better.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Gosh, thanks for the quick initial review.

Is there any chance the machine is in Fujitsu's 'power saver mode' which even makes my T580 perform slow in an attempt to benefit battery life?

Also, can you increase the sensitivity of the touch to make it require less of a heavy hand?

If this is truly the best at what is being produced with Intel's latest chipset then this could be a major blunder for Intel and Fujitsu.

P.S. The video's back in January for both the Q550 and CL900 did not seem this bad performance wise.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the info, slower than the HP Slate 500? That just doesn't seem right, the hardware is quite a bit better, better GPU and faster CPU. What scores do you get in the Windows Experience Index?

4. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought the slate had 1.8Ghz vs. 1.5 for the Fuji. Fuji running 800MHz FSB to Slate's 533. Not clear to me which would be faster.

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Since the screen isn't perfect, it needs to be fixed. My u810 got screaming hot, my brother's 4210 gets screaming hot too, maybe it runs in the family.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Q550 has a dual core however, it should provide for an overall faster machine than the HP Slate 500.

7. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with almost all of Techgeek32's comments. The unit is slower than I expected and lags on pinch zooming. On the plus side, you can open many multiple programs at once without any problems. The inking experience is just as good as my Wacom LE1700, and has even better pressure sensitivity. Its smooth as silk and keeps up even with fast handwriting. I think artists will also find drawing acceptable. The unit is thin and light and easy to hold.

I had no problem with heat buildup, my unit runs very cool on the battery side and slightly warm on the left side. The battery ran for over 7 hrs and still had plenty to go.

Finally, Windows 8 can't come soon enough. I would expect touch sensitivity and zoom control to be greatly improved with 8.

8. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't like the heat. They need to put fans in these if they got hot.

It's good to know the the N-trig is good though. That's a bit of a surprise.

But I suspected there would be a heat issue, so i'm going to pass on this one.

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the quick review - these issues are disappointing to hear:

Is the heat an issue when it's plugged in to the AC?

Slow speed - do you mean opening apps, and/or how apps perform? Is there too much bloatware, what processes are running?

Poor touch response, any attempt to re-calibrate etc?

Poor wifi range - that's not good to hear, any further testing?

LED panel off centre - that almost sounds like a defective build?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.