Which Windows Tablet Should I Get?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hamze, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamze

Hamze Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone, I am a first year engineering student (electrical if it matters) and I was wondering if you can help me out.
    I already have a very good laptop, the 14inch Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, and I have come to realize that a tablet is handy. I am looking for a tablet, preferably Windows, with pen input (very important) to complement my laptop, not to replace it. I am looking for a 10inch tablet which is fast (responsive with no lag) and worth my money.
    I am currently eyeing the Lenovo ThinkPad 10 tablet and was looking to pair it up with the case only. I don't want my tablet to have a keyboard (because I have my laptop). The Toshiba Encore 2 Write looks good (but isn't available in Australia). I was looking at the Asus VivoTab Note 8, but people online have been complaining about the drivers for its stylus.
    I hope to use my tablet to read lecture material, watch lectures and useful videos and, most importantly, be able to take hand written notes. It should be good to write formulas, draw diagrams and text. I plan to use it during lectures, tutorials and while on the train.
    I like the ThinkPad 10 due to its lightweight build and 4gb ram, however the atom processor is a bit worrying since its gonna cost me 850 AUD for the model which comes with 4gb ram, 64gb e-MMC storage and atom Z3795 processor (on Lenovo's education store).
    I dont want an ipad (due to the lack of a digitizer). I prefer Windows over Android due to Windows can be more productive but I might consider android if its better (however, i dont want a samsung device purely due to bloatware).
    So basically I am asking whether or not I should go for the ThinkPad 10 tablet or should I invest my money somewhere else. Thank you very much in advance everyone.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    baiii likes this.
  2. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since you are worried about the price with eMMC you could look at the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140. That has 4GB/64GB actual SSD with Core M processor and 10". They sell an active stylus (I haven't used it though). If they don't sell locally you could check for it on eBay.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Have you looked at the Surface 3? I don't know if it is available in Australia yet though. It starts at ~499 US without the keyboard, but the pen is extra ($50).

The AVN8 is a good option too. I'm not aware of driver problems with the pen, but there are hardware issues with the digitizer cable. This can be fixed very easily though (particularly for an electrical engineer). See the link in my signature for more info.

4. Hamze

Hamze Pen Pal - Newbie

hey guys, thank you very much for the very quick reply. Im sorry for the late response since i had exams :(.
    @cliffr39 i looked at the dell product and it is way too expensive here in aus. the cheapest i found it for was around 900 aud for the lower model. it has a very good processor and neat idea of a back which can be opened so it can easily be maintained and upgraded but a) the price is way $$$$ and b) the stylus is synpatics.
    @Mesosphere i looked at the surface 3 at its actually really impressive. i like the price and its cheapest with the student discount.
    i have a couple of follow up questions:
    is the surface pen any good?
    is wacom better then n-trig for notetaking and if so should i get the asus or something else?
    if wacom vs n-trig doesnt matter then should i pay the more $ for the higher model surface which has 128gb storage and 4gb ram (where the lower model has 64gb storage and 2gb ram). I can actually get the surface 3 with 4gb ram and 128gb storage with the pen for a similar price (maybe a bit cheaper) then the lenovo thinkpad 10.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Follow up questions:

1. The Surface Pen is Quite good. I have used N-Trig pens since they were introduced with the HP Slate 500. The Last two generations have greatly improved the device. I use it as a daily note-taker.

2. There is no real answer for that question. It's largely a matter of opinion. I am squarely in the camp that thinks the traditional Wacom EMR digitizer is still the best pen made. I loved writing on my AVN8 with a Samsung S-10 Wacom pen with soft tip. As much as I like the N-Trig with my S3, it is not as good as my Wacom for writing feel. Palm rejection is far better on Wacom EMR. However, accuracy is an issue with the Wacom and the digitizer is easily affected by magnets or other internals of the tablet. The M80TA had a spot that drew off the cursor by nearly a quarter inch. It drove some owners crazy. I liked my Asus and never had a problem with it until I ran it over with my car. I used it as a daily note-taker. The 8" size is great for a companion device but less so if you need to do a lot of reading. I found that reading cases and the like on the S3 is far easier and less tiring.

3. I would not buy a tablet for serious use without 4GB RAM. The M80TA had only 2 and I used it in the red line nearly half the time. It made me dissatisfied with the tablet performance. I have the 4GB/128GB Surface and would not have bought a 2GB model. There is a 64/4GB model if you don't want to spend the extra for the 128GB eMMC if you can get by with the 64GB and an SD card.

4. Even though the Thinkpad 10 has a Wacom EMR pen, I would go with the S3 over the Thinkpad. There are just too many advantages of the S3. I am pleased with the power of the X7 Atom. The kickstand is a great feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.