which version of win 7 for T5010?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by frog, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

At Amazon UK the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium can be had for less than the upgrade of Professional (obviously the T5010 came with Vista Business, so that's the upgrade path).

Any reason why I shouldn't just get he Home Premium version?

2. chroma_cg

chroma_cg Scribbler - Standard Member

win7 professional has XP mode if u need it

3. frog

Should be OK without it, the only applications I use on the tablet PC are Photoshop CS4, Sketchbook Pro and Firefox.

4. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

The main thing that xp pro, vista business, and win7 pro have over the home/basic versions is the ability to join a domain (and xp mode in 7). If you don't need those, home should suffice.

5. frog

I'm not really sure about that one. At home I share some folders from my desktop PC, running XP home, and when I freelance I need to connect to the wireless networks at the companies I work for to get internet access - presumably neither of these require domains?

6. chroma_cg

chroma_cg Scribbler - Standard Member

i doubt it really, at home u can use workgroups (or homegroups in win7 but i just use the former) for sharing files and printers

and if you go to client places and use their internet only then i dont think you need domains either

7. frog

Thanks! I'll go for the Home version then.

8. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

No, wireless networks do not require logging into domains. Logging into domains would be required in a corporate establishment that may maintain roaming profiles, exchange email etc, etc..If you are not part of that, then you may not need the Pro. But the Pro has other advantages. XP Mode is one of those and actually I use it because I have certain programs that would not run in Win7 (although they do run in Vista!!). The other advantage is profiles. You can move from location to location and Win7 Pro is aware of location and connects you to different resources (such as printers). Again, you may not need it but it is nice to have.

I do not know what goes on the UK but be aware that you do not need the "full version" of anything. The information is that "upgrade versions" are identical to the full versions and achieve installs in clean machines with a simple work-around. I am sure that you somewhere a version of Windows that qualifies for the upgrade. In addition, here in the US, many vendors sell the OEM versions which are cheap (you cannot have MS support for these).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.