Which verison of Win7 is best suited for a Tablet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Mistax, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistax

Mistax Pen Pal - Newbie

my tablet is coming next week and i wasn't quite sure which verison of win7 to get for it. While ultimate has it bells and whistles i think with out upgrading the ram 2gb wont be enough. So im currently looking @ a 32bit to go with the 2gb of ram but there a regular/business/ultimate and what not verison of them.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Home Premium/Ultimate or Professional, each have tablet functionality.

Ram usage is going to be equal regardless of the version, unless you have specific needs home premium should be more than sufficient

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare

and if you're a student you can get the upgrade for $30

3. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2gb is the bare minimum that you really should consider and you should really look at upgrading IMHO to at least 3gb. I am running home premium on all 3 of my computers here and it does what I need... I don't need the networking capability of Business nor do I need the backup (I use Paragon for that) and I never used the encrypting available in Vista Ultimate when I had it. It really depends on what you are doing and where you are using the computer.

4. Mistax

Mistax Pen Pal - Newbie

i will mostly be using it for school and on the go. Right now im currently using Win7 64bit Ultimate but my desktop running on a i7 and 6gb of ram so it alot mroe than what my laptop goona be having a go with.

5. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

As per DRTigerlilly writes, I think you're misunderstanding the different versions of Windows. It doesn't really matter what your computer is specification wise (in general) the different editions of Windows (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) only vary in what features they offer - ability to join a business network (professional), BitLocker encryption (ultimate) etc. They all run identically performance wise.

The core functions (eg. Tablet controls) are also identical for all editions.

The only thing to bare in mind is whether you wish to run with more than 3GB of RAM or not; if so, you need the 64-bit version otherwise choose 32-bit.

6. ichmoimeyo

ichmoimeyo Pen Pal - Newbie

If handwriting recognition in more than one language is important to you, e.g.you write in more than one language or are studying languages, than you will now need to get the enterprise or ultimate version.
    [it used to be free in xp and vista :( ]
    Handwriting recognizers in Windows 7

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.