Which tablet PC is right for me an aspiring digital artist?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by FlameShadow, Nov 7, 2012.

1. FlameShadow

FlameShadow Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, everyone. I recently discovered the beauty of digital art and wanted to be involved in making it. I was looking at my choices however i cannot decide on a tablet PC . Can you help?
    I am looking for a tablet PC (running windows) that can run the following: Photoshop cs5, Sketchbook-pro, Art rage 3, Corell painter 12, Adobe illustrator and other various programs such as for web-browsing and mild game play (minecraft). My price range is anything under 900 I am willing to stretch to maybe 950; however I would prefer something in the 650 range. I would also consider buying refurbished but not used. I would prefer any Intel i line processor or any processor in general that can run the above programs smoothly. I want at least 2GB of ram or at least something that can be upgraded. Dedicated graphics are not required as long as it can run the said programs. The following are mandatory; WACOM digitizer with at least 256 levels of pressure (no n-trig) and a keyboard portfolio or dock. screen size can be any but preferably not under 12 inches. I am fine with a convertible tablet PC as well as a standalone. weight and thickness are no problem; if it is 7 lbs and has the requirements I'm fine with that. battery life needs to be a minimum of 5 hours. Windows 7 or above no xp. If i cant find anything i will probably buy a mainstream laptop and a Wacom intous line graphics tablet. It can be ugly i do not mind. Thank you for any responses.

2. kakeashi

kakeashi Pen Pal - Newbie

look towards the samsung ativ smart pc's

digitizer, 1024 levels
    1920x1080 11.6 screen
    i5 cpu
    8 hour battery life

the inking on it looks amazing, clean, smooth lines, no lag or delay

too bad its like 1200$ and not really out yet, within the next week or 2.
    i would save up for it though, if you can, comes with a keyboard dock too

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you in the USA?

You could try and find a refurbished T901 (with Nvidia GPU option preferably) at Fujitsu's Ebay outlet. They sell refurbed units for super cheap, and they come with a warranty and everything. Actually, that would still exceed your budget though.. I don't know if they would ever get under $1000.

Some of those programs you list may struggle to run smooth with large brushes and large canvases with only 2 gigs of ram. Although most new machines tend to have 4 gigs of ram now, I would consider that the bare minimum for large color work or even medium load photoshop stuff. The Samsung smartPC pro looks nice, but that screen is smaller than 12" and may feel cramped compared to what your used to drawing on.

Perhaps you could find a refurbed Fujitsu T5010, or T900 in your price range... You could toss 8 gigs ram in them, and the processor would be sufficiently powerful for those tasks. You could also later upgrade them with your own SSD to make it really zip. The screens are nice and big, better ratio (16:10) and although they are heavier and uglier, you said that wouldn't matter to you. Which is good, because it is obvious you value function over looks.

Ebay will be your best bet.

4. FlameShadow

Well I found the perfect tablet, motion computing j35000; it is way to far out of my price range though.

5. FlameShadow

So, there are two types of ativ tablets, the 700 and 500. The 500 is more in my price range ,but can it run the programs (Intel atom) and does it have a digitizer?

6. FlameShadow

What about the ThinkPad tablet 2 does that use a ntrig stylus? I'm assuming these atom based tablets can't run photoshop.

7. kakeashi

Photoshop CS6 auf dem Samsung Ativ Smart PC (Deutsch + HD) - YouTube
    Photoshop CS6 auf dem Samsung Ativ Smart PC (Deutsch + HD) - YouTube (go to 5:20 to see some brushing)
    Samsung Ativ Smart PC Clover Trail Windows 8 Tablet XE500T1C - YouTube (go to 32:30 to see painter 12)

its gonna work with the cheaper ativ smart pc, but it MIGHT start showing some lag with more layers, bigger sized brushes, bigger canvas's

8. Hannibalj2

Hannibalj2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Ativ Pro with wacom digitizer. A dell M6600 with Ntrig. The t900, t901,t902 are the current largest options with none ulv around. Their performance will be good. Even the T900 with older cpu will run great.

If you are going to look for 12" then the get the Ativ. The performance is above the current crop due to the full hD and wacom digitizer. 4 gigs will perform fine on the machine if you set the power at performance. The 11.6 compensated for the high res. compared to a 12. Most 12' inches are 1280 or 1366. You will have similar space to draw due to the gained space by having smaller software UI to deal with. And is incredibly sharp. It basically feels like a Retina for drawing. Any texture brush stroke you make will look better than the 12 inch counterpart due to the pixel density of the tablet.

If you must have a larger form factors then go with the above suggestions.
    If you must have cheap and great with largest Tablet PC display with wacom then... hunt down a Tecra M7 with a Quadro nvs110, 4 gigs or ram, 14.1 display at 1440x900 res. You can find them from 250$ and up. They will run Photoshop cs6 great
    A tip, must people do not know you can install a "T7600G" C2D cpu and overclock the machine comfortable to 2.8 to 3.0 GHZ. Even at stocks speed is great
    My wei in windows 8 is 6.7 for an old CPU.

Do not get Ntrig. Is good as long you use software compatible with Windows native tablet drivers. Best art software for it is "Illustudio" I actually find it better than Photoshop.

Happy Hunting

9. kakeashi

you have an ativ pro and you aren't posting in the samsung questions? im sure a lot of people would love your help haha. have you tried using artdock with ativ pro? does it work? and are you in US, if so where did you find your ativ pro?

and how is the pressure sensitivity in photoshop right out of the box?

im getting mine tomorrow in the mail, can't wait :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  10. Hannibalj2

Sure, what questions do you want me to answer. post the link of the thread.

As far some of the performance of the Ativ Pro goes. At first I though that the wacom digitizer wasnt any different than my older tablet pc's. But actually the more I use it I started to feel difference.
    The milligrams of pressure on the digitizer is pretty good and I fell better than the older ones. So I don't have to press much for the pen to register on the screen. This I believe have been improved.

Will it perform better than my Cintiq's with 1024 pressure and 10. milligrams of pressure registration um...no, but close and is very responsive and I it feel better than the older wacom tech. I used a software called TV Paint due to its superior drawing engine than let say Photoshop and Sai (Just to make it clear, I only refer to drawing and not painting, of course this is my personal opinion) For those who want to ask about the comparison to the intuos 4 well it cant. The Intuos 4 milligrams of pressure are i think 0.01 vs intuos 3's 10.0, If this isn't accurate the please correct me.

I was worried at first that it was going to be difficult to draw due to the small space state (11.6) of the tablet. But after using it every day with heavy storyboard work I can a test that it is very usable. This is helped by the fact that the Resolution of the display is very high (1920x1080). The ui of the software isn't an issue like all other tablets of lesser resolution so it compensate when compared to 12.1 display tablets. The other part that some people will theorize is that the text will be very small. Yes the text is small...but also is very very sharp and because of it very legible so it wont matter at the end unless you have very poor eye sight.

Now there is a draw back that I know people will comment. The heat on the display is noticeable in the upper center of the display. I draw a lot and i will lay my hand on the digitizer as i think things I need to draw of sequences i need to figure out. It can definitely get hot. This is on the High performance mode energy setting.

I am ok with the heat on that small portion of the display though. So if you want a good performer and portable the get it is a nice tablet. If the price was more comparable with the t902 then there is a no brainier and get the T902 due to the larger 13.3 form factor and 1600x900 resolution. But if you want light weight then the Ativ at the moment is the best as long you need Wacom.

If you are just going to draw the get older C2d tablets like the M400 with 1440x1050 res 12.1 inch. They should be cheap. if you want more portable then the x61 with 1440x1050 res c2d. There is also the LE1700 with 1440x1050. If you want large then the Tecra M7 with 1400x900 @ 14.1'

For art high res tend to be better choice than the lesser resolution due to the pixel density of the display. The image looks sharper. One the flip side of things however the user should look into the aspects of the quality of brightness and contrast of the display. There is a whole spectrum of displays that produce different color output on the different product manufacturers. Some user will be inclined to like the colors of one machine over another so keep that in mind.

If this is very important for color work then you will need to look at the newer machines. All in all there are many factors that an artist/user need to search to find the right machine. This are some tips I hope it helps anyone.

Cheers

11. fossy

fossy Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to bother Hannibal, but (if you're in the US), where did you buy your Ativ Pro? :)

12. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hannibalj2 - thanks for that overview of the Ativ Pro - that was very informative. My main concern with it was the screen size / text size, but maybe it's not as bad as I imagined. Sounds like a great machine. Currently the Ativ Pro and the T902 are in the running for my purchase.

13. Hannibalj2

For art the t902 is the clear choice of the two. It just offers a lot more than the Ativ Pro does. Ativ pro is basically almost an ipad that allows for digital art.
    I purchased mine in Hong Kong on the first day. Unfortunately the T902 is very pricey when comparing it to the Ativ

14. Pete Tapang

Pete Tapang Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly I think you can use anything from an ipad up to the ativ. I currently use a samsung series 7 slate but, I have done just as nice artwork on an ipad. I really think it's how you as an artist uses your tools. I say try out some stuff and see what fits you and your wallet

This was done with artrage on an ipad
    IMG_0071.jpg

This was done with artrage on a samsung series 7 slate
    X-23peteTapang_zps2991359c.jpg

-Pete Tapang

15. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

16. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ha ha!

These are really well rendered. Personally, I'd have gone slightly mad trying to work on something that detailed through a viewport the relative size of a pack of cards.

I saw a guy's rendering of the Mona Lisa using a couple thousand glasses of colored water out in a parking lot. It's all possible, but. . , well, practicality is something to consider.