Which Tablet Is Best For International Travel

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by shalomyishai, Oct 19, 2012.

1. shalomyishai

shalomyishai Pen Pal - Newbie

So I am going to be spending considerable time in Central America and am wondering which tablet would be the best one for me to use while I am down there.

I have looked at the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7 but am still undecided.

Some folks on the internet have said that Google Play will not work overseas so that is a concern of mine.

I borrowed a friends Nexus 7 for a few days and loved it so I would probably choose that one if the Google Play is not horribly limited when I am out of the US.

I talked to a customer service rep at Amazon and she said that I will be able to download books onto the Kindle Fire overseas but I will not be able to do any movies. She said I will not be able to download songs onto the Kindle Fire but I can download them onto a seperate computer and then transfer them.

Another question I have: If I use a Nexus 7 will I be able to access all the KIndle books at the amazon website?

Those are the only two tablets I have really researched so far. There was one article on the web that said the Samsung Tablet was the best one for traaveling but I think that article was written before the Nexus 7 came out.

I look forward to any info.

thanks.

2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sure the more experienced members will chime in, but yes, you will be able to access your Kindle books with the Nexus 7 via WiFi (just download the free Kindle app for Android). I use the Blackberry Playbook which I thought was the nicest tablet at the time. There are battery issues, however, and you have to install a special package to run Android apps (there is no Kindle app for Blackberry).

Note, though, that the long-rumored 7" Apple iPad mini is just around the corner. Might be a good idea to wait a little if you can. Have a great trip!