1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Which Tablet Is Best For International Travel

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by shalomyishai, Oct 19, 2012.

1. shalomyishai

shalomyishai Pen Pal - Newbie

So I am going to be spending considerable time in Central America and am wondering which tablet would be the best one for me to use while I am down there.

I have looked at the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7 but am still undecided.

Some folks on the internet have said that Google Play will not work overseas so that is a concern of mine.

I borrowed a friends Nexus 7 for a few days and loved it so I would probably choose that one if the Google Play is not horribly limited when I am out of the US.

I talked to a customer service rep at Amazon and she said that I will be able to download books onto the Kindle Fire overseas but I will not be able to do any movies. She said I will not be able to download songs onto the Kindle Fire but I can download them onto a seperate computer and then transfer them.

Another question I have: If I use a Nexus 7 will I be able to access all the KIndle books at the amazon website?

Those are the only two tablets I have really researched so far. There was one article on the web that said the Samsung Tablet was the best one for traaveling but I think that article was written before the Nexus 7 came out.

I look forward to any info.

thanks.
  2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sure the more experienced members will chime in, but yes, you will be able to access your Kindle books with the Nexus 7 via WiFi (just download the free Kindle app for Android). I use the Blackberry Playbook which I thought was the nicest tablet at the time. There are battery issues, however, and you have to install a special package to run Android apps (there is no Kindle app for Blackberry).

Note, though, that the long-rumored 7" Apple iPad mini is just around the corner. Might be a good idea to wait a little if you can. Have a great trip!