Which tablet has the best battery life?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barry J. Doyle, Aug 12, 2005.

1. moviejim

moviejim Pen Pal - Newbie

I have read most of the information on this website and I really like the following tablet PCs:

IBM X41
    Fujitsu T4010
    HP TC 4200
    Toshiba M4

My number one requirement is battery life as I am on the road all the time. I need a tablet PC that can run at least 5-7 hours. 80% of my tasks are email, Internet, Excel and Word. Nothing heavy duty (except for using the wireless card to access Internet) that would draw a lot of power.

The M4 and T4010 are nice becuase I could swap out the optical drive for a 2nd battery. Does anyone know with two batteries installed, how long will they last for the M4 and T4010?

I also notice that the X41 can take a high capacity battery instead of the regular one. Any idea how long it will last?

For the TC4200, seems like a 2nd battery could be installed as well on the bottom (along with the main battery).

Any information would be appreciated.

BTW, when is the M4 review coming out? I have been waiting for it for a long time.....

Thanks,
    Jimmy

2. blindell

blindell Pen Pal - Newbie

Electrovaya.com
    valence.com
    batterygeek.net

all sell external batteries, so you dont have to choose a talbet based purely on battery life =D

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. moviejim

moviejim Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Brian.

Does the X41 last longer than the TC4200?

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since the X41 is LV, it will win out by a little bit most likely.

6. jerryrock

jerryrock Pen Pal - Newbie

The Advueu V800 XPT-2 has a 6 hour batty life.

7. crussell

crussell Pen Pal - Newbie

but the Advueu is a touch screen isnt it??? not a true digitizer with winxp tablet OS? and doesnt it have the transmeta chip? these issues sure would turn me off...but to each his own

8. jerryrock

jerryrock Pen Pal - Newbie

The Advueu is not touch screen but a true pressure sensitive digitizer.(non Wacom) It comes with Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 installed as well as 512MB Ram standard. It does have an 800Mhz Transmeta Crusoe Processor which I was kind of leary about when considering my purchase but it has proven to be a very fast and stable processor. I have used this tablet on a daily basis for over a year and it functions flawlessly. I run Adobe Photoshop CS on the tablet which is very processor and memory intensive. I have never had a BSOD on this computer which I cant say for my other 2 computers (Intel P4 2.8Ghz Northwood Processor and Intel P4 3.0Ghz Prescott)
    I can't say enough about this unit! I think I do more advertising for Advueu than the company does!

9. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

The Acer C314 allows a secondary battery to be placed in the modular bay. I did not buy the secondary battery but I would bet that with the primary and secondary battery in use you have one incredible long-lasting machine.

10. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The X41 combined battery options (the 6-cell + the external battery) would be an excellent bet for your needs.