Which Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Freeman9090, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

I want this so badly. The other dream I have is professional art pipelines moving away from Photoshop. It's a good dream. :D

2. Qyygle

Qyygle Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you set on your choice of a Surface?
    I used a surface 4 (i5, 8gb ram, 128gb drive) all through college, but I had to get a desktop for heavier cad work, etc. The surface handled sketchup alright, and most light sketching apps, but I never pushed it too far in terms of layers, detailed modeling, etc.
    To be honest, unless you really want the tablet form factor or size, it'd be more cost effective to explore a lot of the more conventional 2 in 1s out there with pen support rather than going with a Surface.

Other options closer to your proposed budget: (~$500-$1000)
    HP Envy x360 (AMD and intel options) - upgradable drive
    Dell Inspiron 13 2in1 - upgradable drive?
    Lenovo Flex 14 (AMD and intel options) - upgradable drive and RAM
    Acer Spin 3 - upgradable drive

Options closer to fully kitted out Surface pricing: (~$1000+)
    HP Spectre x360
    Dell XPS 2in1
    Lenovo C940
    *pretty sure all three of these (aside from XPS) are upgradable drives only
    Samsung Notebook 9

Of these, I've played with an Envyx360, Flex 14, Spectrex360, and currently using a c940.
    I've still got the surface pro 4 kicking around, and had a used surface book for a time too. The surfaces I found to be actually more buggy when it came to software (ironic Microsoft?...). The fact that they're sealed, also means no way to swap out to bigger drives, or replace the terrible wifi chips they used to use (did this ever get upgraded in the newer?)

HP's devices use MPP, but it was hit and miss on the stylus feel. I always found them a little hard to draw or write with, but were otherwise good machines.
    The Flex 14 actually had the best pen experience, running Wacom AES. With a matt screen protector, it was very good. The model I had also had a free RAM slot alongside the soldered RAM. You can also find the flex with low level nvidia cards if you have programs that can make use of that.
    My current C940 doesn't have as great a digitizer implementation somehow, if I add a screen protector it really messes up the jitter too, but otherwise it's a nice machine.
    The Notebook 9 is pretty expensive, but I threw it up there just for the Wacom EMR/samsung pen it has. Not much other info on that. Playing with a samsung tab a with s-pen has felt pretty good, this might be the best drawing experience out of all the above honestly.

Also, shog's note on Ryzen 4000Us... If you can wait for devices coming out with those? yeah... that would be nice. Performance on par with gaming laptops in convertible form factor? Yes please.

daddyfish and WillAdams like this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, that is annoying. It has been a while I used Photoshop and that was an older version. I think in your shoes maybe I would try to sell the Pro when you see a good deal if it really delays/handicaps your professional work and would try to get a regular 2-1 (though that does mean higher weight, so only drawing on surfaces or on the lap).
    I like HP since it is easy to get pens for it (2nd handed too) and their Envy 2-1 line sometimes have very good deals. Spectre and Envy 2-1 both have good performance (I use a 15 inch Envy x360 with a mx150, it was a cheap laptop for me since I bought it in a sale and replaced the hdd with a big ssd from my previous laptop). I use Throttlestop to slightly undervolt the cpu (not required but gives slightly better battery life and temperatures) and is easy to do.
    The only thing I am not sure is if the Envy supports more advanced pens like those with tilt support etc (I am no pro at drawing).
    Asus and Acer also have some good bang for buck 2-1's that have good performance (Zenbook Flip mainly), not sure on the pen support on those devices but it might be worth it to keep an eye on those.
    The 13 inch Spectre with Iris Plus igpu is also not too expensive here (you just heavy to double check if you can upgrade ram nowadays).

Lilawyn likes this.
  4. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh yeah, I hear you. I yearn for those days of pre-2017 photoshop. Once upon a time, Photoshop was THE PROGRAM to paint in. There are some features that I require for my work in later versions of Photoshop CC, otherwise I'd roll back the clock in a minute.

Currently, I'm using my Surface Studio 2 & my Samsung Notebook 9 Pen for a majority of my creative work! If there weren't a global pandemic on, I was hoping to save up from client work this year to nab the Acer Concept 7 Ezel when it came out. I'm still really enticed by it and what its form factor can do!

5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, yeah the Acer Concept 7 Ezel is very cool. I hope Acer will make a budget version of that one (like a modern Acer R7). Surface Studio 2 is not to shabby either :cool:

Lilawyn likes this.