Which SSD for a T730?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DonMegel, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMegel

DonMegel Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought a Fujitsu T730 tablet and wanted to drop a SSD in. However, I am new to the SSD world and was wondering which way to go. I'd rather not spend over $100 so a 64gig drive is about as big as I can go, I think.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Thank you,

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't buy Kingston or OCZ... absolutly do not buy from either, especially OCZ as they have very unreliable products (becuase of cutting corners and such) and once its dead you are basically stuck up a river (their CS is a bunch of BS)

Get yourself any 2.5" Intel, Crucial or Samsung SSD as they perfrom as well as anything in real world usage (There is really almost no difference between most any SSD, certianly nothing you would ever notice normally), and they are very very reliable with CS that will be decent... buying used is usually a decent option, check out NBR's Market Place http://forum.notebookreview.com/computer-components/ and even ebay (if you do your research and ask the seller for a screen shot of Crystal Disk Info on the disk, and pay with paypal then you should be fine)

Avoid anything else that is this generation because there are severe issues with the Sandforce chip they use; but if it is a 2010 drive (ie: sandforce 1200 series controller) from another manufacturer it should be good :) I had a Patriot Inferno 120GB and used it for a few months, it was a awesome drive (sold it because it was a 2.5" drive and my 2730p uses 1.8" drives)

3. MasterKuni

MasterKuni Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree about OCZ, but Kingston makes *some* reliable and very affordable SSD offerings.

4. DonMegel

Whats all this SATA II and III stuff? Which one will work in my T730?

5. Agent 9

Well, the V+ series by Kingston is supposed to be ok-ish... still not quite up to par with the big manufacturers though

You can use any SATA III SSD in a SATA I/II/III capable computer albeit at the max speed the computer itself is capable of (so a SATA III SSD will run at II speeds in a II capable computer, and at I speeds in a I computer... I'm using the SATA III capable Crucial M4 64GB in my Toshiba M4 which is a SATA I computer, it works just fine at SATA I speeds)

That said I wouldn't get a high performance SATA III drive like the Intel 510 because you woudn't be able to take advantage of the speed, but a Crucial M4 or Samsung 470 series, or the Intel 320 series are the baseline SSD's and they happen to be SATA III as well (so think of it as a bonus for in the future when you get a SATA III computer)... or get a last generation SATA II SSD used for more or less the same price

6. DonMegel

How about the Kingston ssd now v100 64gig? I need 64gigs for 100 or less

7. Hashaholic

Hashaholic Borderline Yadoo

I've got an Intel X25 G2 80gb in mine...no complaints. Personally I wouldn't gamble with catastrophic data loss by saving a few bucks on a cheaper, less reliable brand.

8. Agent 9

As Hashaholic basically said it would be well worth the slightly extra spent on a Intel/ Crucial/ Samsung, all of $20 maybe

The v100 series has been one of the worst SSD's in general since '09/ '10 I would say steer clear of it if you can, but if you really want to try it go ahead, just don't expect much

9. DonMegel

10. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Looks like that's a first generation (G1) Intel SSD.
    While not bad per se I would strongly recommend against it in favor of a G2 drive which support the TRIM command which will prevent the massive slow-down early SSDs experience once they've written to the entire drive once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.