Which software do you use?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by coolpda, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

@BornLoser -

I could not be happier with Ubuntu, like I stated before. I think it was a very wise choice to ditch Windows, especially since I had both XP and Vista experience on the c314. I am writing an Ubuntu Tablet Guide to be posted soon.

2. Lazaruspl

Lazaruspl Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't use Linux, but I did just switch from an Acer 314, a.k.a. 310, to an R1F. It just completely blows the Acer away. Lousy driver updating, none actually, for the Acer, as well as stupid utility software, it's heavy, the screen is well under par for sunlight, battery time is not that good or rather average. The Acer is simply cheaply made, that's how it feels. And the chassis got discolored after a short while (the heat from the internals, it gets vERY HOT by the way, made the case loose the silver coloring in places. The Asus is very well built. And it's a generation newer - core duo, Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR, better Wifi hardware, beautiful screen (for a tablet!), very nice keyboard. Drivers are updated, support actually answers. A different cup of tea, and good value for money, too. Just read the various reviews around the net.
    Regards,
    Laz

3. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Gautam -> Savior!

Laz -> You've stated many things I definately did not want to hear, especially since I was leaning more toward the Acer after Guatam's statements earlier in this thread...but how can I blame the bearer if the news is bad? Thanks for your input, I'll definately take it into consideration (and do quite a bit more checking on Acer's tablet quality) befrore purchasing either tablet.

4. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with Lazaruspl about the R1F being a new generation one. its definately one of the most forward looking tablets on the market. A lot of my friends use tablets, who are all really amazed with the R1F and its capabilities and looks.

Just a side note, i dunno why people like linux because windows is so much better and easier (expet for the part when u have to solve for bugs). I have used ubuntu, i have it on my other laptop and though i agree that its one of the best and easy to use linux software out there, its still not as easy as windows. unless u know to use the terminal very well, windows is still better. Also a lot of my softwares don't work on linux. Even Mac is so much better than ubuntu (and windows), even though mac is also Unix.

5. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

Also has anyone used gobinder??? do you like it, i do?

6. Lazaruspl

By the way, BornLoser, another thing I just reminded myself of is that when I got the Acer, the first thing that happened was that I had to hand it in for service - the WiFi circuit needed replacing. I now lug both laptops since the damn thing has broken down again, and I need to get it serviced. I can't stand to look at the damn thing. My new R1F has everything that the Acer had, and then some. The only positive thing I have to say about the Acer is that it has (my version that is!) an Nvidia Go 6200. However, Acer's drivers are two years old and they have made no updates. I had to gimmick an Nvidia driver to work on it, by editing the .inf file. Otherwise, Nvidia drivers won't install on laptops, they say that it's up to the manufacturer to update their own versions. Which Acer does NOT do. I've also mailed their support a number of times, first time about a year ago, and I didn't even get an automatic reply, or any other kind. Maybe that's a country issue, I don't know. But if you go onto Acer's site, check out the AGE of the drivers for download... Pathetic. Good luck with your choice!! Laz

7. Lazaruspl

Gautam, can you run Ubuntu off for instance a pen drive? I'm curious, but I don't really feel like going the whole way if you know what I mean...
    Laz

8. coolpda

coolpda Pen Pal - Newbie

same issue, ditching the Acer C314 for the new Asus R1f. Quite excited. Also had warranty done.. replacing the swivel since it made a loud cracking sound everytime i opened+closed it, only after 8 months, now with the replacement, i feel it coming again. Has served well as a first tablet, but time to move on. BTW, used Onenote 2003 and now 2007... school, great, especially importing pdfs and web pages to annotate.