Which software do you use?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by coolpda, Dec 13, 2006.

1. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, iwas wondering, which software do you guys use to write, Journal, or one note or go Binder or maybe anything else ? I personally prefer Journal and GoBinder .

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I use the Windows Journal (when I was on Win XP - Vista)

I use Xournal (on Ubuntu Linux)

3. deepak

hey, Gautam ur reply reminded me of a burning question that i had. does ubuntu support tablets. i mean can we run ununtu on tablets? are there any issues known? thanks.

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Deepak-bhai - I absolutely run Ubuntu 6.06 perfectly on my tablet. I have not run into any issues so far (other than no BT, since the radio is default off) and in fact, Ubuntu is much better than any Windows version. If you want to run Windows programs such as Dreamweaver, you have to get Wine which emulates Windows. It's not perfect, but a lot of programs work.

5. Mynd Ara

Mynd Ara Deus Ex Macchus

and you do this on the asus, gautam? If that's the case I really have to get a larger hard drive when I order mine. Speaking of software, has anyone used portableapps.com? I use it (as I have not yet purchased a tablet pc). With portable apps you can carry firefox, openoffice, gaim and alot of other neat little programs around with you on your jumpdrive and load them on any computer, settings in tact.

6. deepak

yeah, i have used them. Very rarely however.It can come handy sometimes.

7. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

My notebook is an Acer, as per my signature.

I have not heard of portableapps.com, but I suspect it is similar to U3 the competitor program which does the same thing for USB keys. It's actually pretty annoying since there isn't any Linux compatibility yet. Anyway, I think the concept is sort of moot for USB drives below, say, 1 GB.

8. Mynd Ara

Mynd Ara Deus Ex Macchus

yeah, I use it on my ipod shuffle. I don't even use it for itunes anymore for real.

9. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use MS OneNote which i think is pretty much the same as Journal

10. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Guatam - How much difficulty did you have initially when it came to running Dapper on your Acer? I've been looking into a tablet PC for months now and Linux compatibility would pretty much seal the deal for me on a tablet.

I've pretty much narrowed down my choices between the R1F and an Acer model. Since the R1F doesn't run linux very well at this point I'm leaning more toward an Acer so any feedback on their functionality in Ubuntu would be appreciated.