Which should I buy? High-end laptop replacement for business

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by profrink, Jan 4, 2013.

1. profrink

profrink Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? up to $2K

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? would prefer new but sure

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? convertible, where the tablet "undocks" from the keyboard

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? As much as possible, but I'm usually near an outlet (used primarily at home & work) so not a top factor

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) I'm often in my office, have my laptop hooked up to power and monitors, always disconnecting and reconnecting to go into a meeting, most of my work involves email/web/excel/desktop publishing - I'm a CEO of a small company that wants something a little more mobile to carry around with me around the office and the house - and a modest amount of travel (not a road warrior)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Windows 8 is a must

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Office, Indesign, Photoshop (some), otherwise, web-based SaaS

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?1920 x 1080 is my minimum

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? some, but not often

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? basic functionality is fine here

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 128 Gb minimum, 256 Gb ideal

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? full size USB, microSD is fine, HDMI out (micro is fine)

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? Currently, I use my laptop setup for dual output to two 27" monitors in the office, I'm doubting that will be possible and I'm ok with sacrificing that. I'd like something that I could keep a base keyboard at the office (or use my bluetooth keyboard), one at home, and only take the tablet back and forth between them. Think ease of portability for non-travel

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? I've done a fair bit of research, and so far I'm leaning towards the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T. I'm anxious to get something soon, but also cautious with CES and new products around the corner maybe I should wait. There doesn't seem to be anything perfect right now, but unless something is on the near horizon (Q1 2013) I'd rather not wait

2. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

there are several coming (hopefully): thinkpad helix, surface pro.

3. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

I would recommend you take a look at the Sony Vaio Duo 11. It has both VGA output and a full-size HDMI port, as well as a built-in Ethernet port.

It doesn't have the detachable screen you mentioned you were looking for, but in hits so many of your other goals (including being one of the very few models that offer a 256GB SSD) that I would recommend you check one out in person to see if the form factor might work for you.