Which rumored 2021 devices are you looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, May 12, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems like it's been a little quiet recently on the new device front. We got the excellent but conservative Surface Pro 7+, new iPads, semi-recently the Surface Duo. Are there any known or rumored upcoming devices that we should be excited about?

Most exciting for me are better screens (OLED or microLED) on familiar form factors (Surface Pro, iPad 11", iPad mini) or amazing battery life (Apple's M1 push), and perhaps color e-ink if it comes to >10" screens.

So, any exciting rumors on such devices or other cool gadgets for 2021?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Fold3 if it comes with S-Pen

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Fold 3 and Tab S8 "Pro"

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. JoeS

Drat, the fun new devices all run an OS that I don't want to go anywhere near!

I'm personally getting mac-curious. A revamped MacBook Air design with further improved M1 and (gasp) touch support would be pretty interesting. If nothing else I'd enjoy reading about it. :D

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2021 device - I'm curious about the Samsung Tab S7 lite - looks like it will have a 12.4 inch screen as compared to the 10.2 inch iPad and it may even have keyboard support. As a cheap but large sketching screen with Wacom EMR - this could be great.

The fabled Apple unicorn...
    The spirit of Ives and Jobs (and their hostility to touching the screen) lives on in a lot of decision making and while customers keep paying for iMacs and MacBooks without touchscreen support Apple isn't going near that.
    Something may come from the iPad Pro evolution though - that may become your touchscreen Apple laptop someday if iPadOS ever grows up. I just wonder though as Apple seem quite keen on iPad Apps being able to run on all the range from humble 10.2 to IPP.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Already having a M1 Mac Air and a 3rd gen iPad Pro, I find the current state of Apple's newer products kind of meh. Baring expanding monitor support, updates to the Mac & iPads I just don't find exciting.

The newer 12.9 iPad Pro's sole interest to me is its 1000+ nits of brightness, but that's not enough to make me plunk down a grand for it when my 3rd gen Pro still works fine. And as much as I would like to see a performance focused M2 or M1X (whatever) Mac, the only thing that would sway me from updating from the M1 Air would be the addition of Pen/Touch which I doubt is on the table anytime soon.

My dream unicorn device for 2021 would be a true Surface Pro 8. Honestly a Pro 7+ thrown into a slightly thicker Pro X chassis with the slim pen keyboard cover would be enough for me. But I find it hard to hold out much hope for Microsoft much anymore these days.

A S-pen Galaxy Fold 3 would be next on my list. I've been buying refurbed phones for years, but this would be the one device to would get me to plunk down as an early adopter.

I will also raise my hand towards the Tab S7 lite, but only if it has the 12.4 inch screen. My main use would be just jury rigging it as a 2nd monitor for Super Display, which should speak to how pleased I am with that app. A Tab S8 would only interest me if its either larger (like 14-16 inches) for the same intended use of using it with Super Display, or if they changed the Aspect Ratio back to 3/4 or 2/3.

7. JoeS

Oh right! I forgot about that dream. My dream is slightly bigger: if MS would please be so kind as to finally add Thunderbolt ports and an OLED or microLED screen, I might even consider upgrading my X1 Tablet 3rd gen (i7-8650U/16GB/1TB, 3:2 at 2560x1440, Wacom AES).

desertlap likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've read there may be up to 6 certifications for the Tab 7 lite models but at least one will definitely will be 12.4" - the XL name seems to be the big hint on size.

[​IMG]

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Surface Pro 8! We have been on the same general Surface Pro 4 design with minor tweaks in features over the last six years including a larger battery, quad-core processor, USB-C, and user replaceable SSD. Its thick bezels now are abundantly apparent versus the other products in the Surface lineup so it is in grave need of a refresh if not for anything else, for a better screen experience.

10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One of my engineers with decent connections within MS says spring 2022 is when we will get a truly redesigned Surface Pro (intel). Allegedly even a step forward beyond the Pro X