Which RAM for M1400?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by cray-, Nov 11, 2007.

1. cray-

cray- Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just bought a used M1400 off eBay and waiting for it to be shipped. Wanted to get a few things while I'm waiting. The spec sheet says it takes DDR 333MHz PC2700 which is quite expensive to buy now. Some places have the slightly newer DDR 400MHz PC3200 sticks a bit cheaper [still 2x the price of DDR2 :( ]. Generally in desktop PC's if you run faster ram of the same type it will just run at the slower speed if that's what your system/BIOS is limited to.

Can anyone confirm that the M1400 [Centrino 1.1Ghz model] only supports PC2700 and if so, has anyone tried PC3200 in it?

Can't wait to get my hands on the thing :D

2. cray-

cray- Pen Pal - Newbie

I decided to e-mail Motion support with my question and here is the response:
    So apparently DDR400 [PC3200] should run OK in the M1400. The 1.5gig recommendation has me a bit worried though. Spec's say 2gig is the maximum so why do Motion recommend only running 1.5gig?

If my tablet comes with a single 512MB of DDR333 then I will just take the cheap option and buy a 1gig DDR333 to match. But if it's got 2 x 256MB chips then I was planning to replace them with 2 x 1gig. Anyone had any trouble running 2gig in an M1400?