which one would u buy??? if u have $2500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok...I am going to order either acer314 or tecra m4 on this weekend and i'm going to need ur help!!again!!
    My finanical aid is giving me $2500 for a laptop.
    as u all know an acer with 2years ext. war., tx, ship.: costs about $2000
    tecra m4 from toshiba costs for the same exact options and 128 mb graphic contr. and 80gb hard drive(which is lower than acer314 that have 100gb) and higher sceen res. and 2 year ex. war. (includs safe gaurd )whith shipping and tx. for about $2500
    (that's with just 256 mem. I can get a 1gb from the market for a good price instead of buying it from toshiba)

so money isn't a factor at all...it's not like they are going to give the rest of the 2500 if i don't spend it! Which one would u buy if u where in my place..
    The reason i'm very confused that i haven't seen any of them infront of me!!

thaaaanks

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the M4 is more "tight." What I mean is I feel like it's a little more refined than the Acer, though you pay for it. I also like the video card options in the Toshiba, great if you're a gamer. The Acer isn't bad by any stretch, I'm just saying if money were not an issue, I'd get the M4.

3. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot..
    any other openions pleeeease???

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would agree with Brian. I would buck for the fully the M4 customized with the highest specs. you can get up to $2500. This machine offers a bit less for the $$ than the Acer, but since you have the funds, I would go for it with at least 1024MB RAM and the fastest processor you can get within your allocated budget.

5. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

I just had to make the same decision, and I bought the M4. Of course, I had settled on the M4 a long time ago, and it came down to the resolution of the screen.

6. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks gentlmen...
    hey superrob, by the way,...how did u like the m4...is it really heating up quickly or not that much...?

7. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have it yet, but I'll certainly let you know when I get it. I plan to undervolt the machine and play with the power schemes, so hopefully the heat won't be a big deal.

8. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

go with the R 15 from Toshiba. I went with it instead of the Tecra M4 for college. It works just as well (except no track point) but is $400 cheaper. For $400 you can upgrade to 1.5gb ram (That is what I did) and 2yr full coverage. As for the 128mb graphics memory: it is nice but unneeded be cause you probably won't have time to seriously game at college. The r15 plays games like halo will but not Doom3 (which the M4 barely plays)

9. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks but, a little bit late! i already put my order for tecra m4..2 weeks to deliver

10. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know. It is just for others who come to this thread with the same question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.