Which of these have the best digitizer?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Frs4ken, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Frs4ken

Frs4ken Pen Pal - Newbie

Saw some good deals at costco
    These are the ones that caught my eye

Surface pro 6 (ntrig?)
    Lenovo flex 5 2 in 1 (wacom aes)
    Dell inspiron 5 7000 2 in 1 7573 version

Dont know which one the dell one has, which one would be best for drawing? When it comes to pen accuracy, responsiveness, jitter etc. Theyre all around 800 bukkies

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How important is drawing to you?

Each of those use digitizers which will frustrate and annoy. Active electrostatic tech (other than the Apple Pencil) basically doesn't work properly, suffering from jitters and signal noise. I put in hundreds of drawing hours on a Dell Inspiron 7000 for six months and it drove me insane. I literally cracked the screen in frustration. It was good for penciling and sloppy paints, but for precision work, like inking, it wasted my time by constantly creating line errors on my behalf which I would then have to go back and correct. I spent about 20% of my time fixing mistakes that weren't mine.

Then I bought a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro with Wacom EMR. And while there are a few small reservations with their implementation, (bad drivers), it is otherwise an excellent drawing machine which is quite satisfying to work on. I like it more than my monster 27" desktop Dell Canvas.

If you are a casual or hobby artist, or just really broke, then you can probably get away with second-tier equipment. You can suffer through the frustrations or maybe not even notice that the digitizer is poorly designed. And you can save quite a bit of cash.

But if you have a developed style which demands accuracy, then you will not be happy with second rate gear.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

WIll check further but I believe the Dell is also AES. Either the Dell or the Lenovo would be better for drawing than the Ntrig/MPP in the Surface Pro.

As @thatcomicsguy has mentioned however...ultimately Wacom EMR is ultimately the better tech, but none of the devices you mentioned use it.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Just to add a bit of salt I would say the Surface is so much better than the other two.

5. DRTigerlilly

lol provided you luck out and don't have any jitters eh?

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Surface Book 2 is almost jitter free and is certainly far better than the other two that still live in downtown Wobbleville, so I suppose it should be the same with the Pro 6.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. Frs4ken

Frs4ken Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the responses all
    Thanks for the response, do you know of any wacom emr devices around 800 bukkies?

8. DRTigerlilly

You just missed the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 8GB/256GB/LTE for $849 @ Newegg :(

I've seen for $799 on fleabay.

9. DRTigerlilly

Just remembered B&H has the non dreamcolour HP Zbook x2 for $899

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Frs4ken

Frs4ken Pen Pal - Newbie

Which one of those is better? Thinking about picking up the zbook thats a huge friggin discount right there