Which Linux Installation and Setup guide next?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Kyle Porter, May 22, 2009.

?

Which type of linux next?

1. Feature Rich Linux Distrobution

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. A low resource Distrobution

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Continue with my Ubuntu work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (please list)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I have a bunch of free time on my hands, so I was wondering which would you like me to do next!

Currently I am working on Linux Mint, which is quite a nice change from Ubuntu.

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I created an Ubuntu partition to see if I could get an OS that booted faster than Vista, but right now they both seem to take the same amount of time. I've gone to some of the Ubuntu forums and followed their instructions on disabling some of the resources, but the change in boot time is negligable. Is there a distro that would A) boot in 30sec or less and B) contains the drivers that I need to get online? At this point I am not concerned about tablet function as even the latest iteration of Ubuntu's tablet functions pale in comparison to those found "natively" on my M700 (auto rotate, tip come to mind first).

3. Kyle Porter

Well, you seem to be looking at the low resource crowd. I have had a friend claim Fedora does both, but thats not a low resource OS....

Try DSL (damn small linux) first, then start working your way up to more feature rich OS's until you find something you like. I also recommend you try BSD as well.

My next big thing to try and get working is HP quick Launch Buttons on linux, as that would allow for Auto-rotation and the side buttons to work.

4. Kyle Porter

For those who care, I am planning to do Fedora 11 next. TabbedOut if you have not tried it yet I would, it touts a sub 30 second boot time (most of the time).

5. piete

piete Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! I wonder if tablet users don't use linux on their tablets at all, judging from the activity on this forum... ;)

I was the third voter on this poll, I voted on feature rich linux to address my needs I mentioned on the other thread I started a couple of days ago (over a hundred reads so at least there are some people with some interest in linux, now I only wish someone would reply). Feature rich doesn't have to mean a resource hog, on the contrary, it would be perfect if the low resource option would be in the same distro. After all, if I want to be able to use the tablet with the stylus it would be on battery, and of not much use if I cannot work like that for more than half an hour. If it must be a tradeoff, I would possibly choose low resource after all, since I can always use the TC4400 as an NC4400 notebook :|

On Windows side I am quite satisfied with the power consumption, my TC4400's XP installation consumes regularly less than 10 watts (informed by RMClock), and I haven't even tweaked it, just removed the absolutely useless bloatware that comes with the HP recovery disk install. I just wish linux could give me the same mileage and the functionality of everything the TC4400 hardware can offer.

On a side note, I have read some interesting things about Fuduntu but I have no idea how it works on a tablet. If my other thread doesn't get any replies by the weekend, and if I happen to have one hour of slack, I just may try Fuduntu (and then reply by myself).