Which Lenovo is best for artists?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jbomb, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems like Lenovo has a bunch of computers to work with. Right now there's a sale.
    So keep in mind if you're looking for something with 16gb Ram, and powerful enough to run Adobe programs so there wouldn't be a lag while drawing.

In my case I use other adobe programs other than just Photoshop such as Illustrator, Dreamweaver, After Effects (from time to time).

I've noticed that some of the Lenovos don't have a lot of ports. the X1 has a bunch.

Also I've only used EMR. I was turned off because of the activation force from the ntrig and the jitter. How are these machines, and do the new ones have the potential of taking advantage of the new Wacom pen?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I highly recommend the Yoga 720 15 with discrete GPU. It's the most powerful pen-enabled portable I've tested and is surprisingly affordable. It offers the best AES experience to date and the Wacom Bamboo Ink runs wonderfully on it as we're still awaiting release of the Active Pen 2.

Starlight5 and jbomb like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@jbomb regarding ports - you can always use a Thunderbolt or USB-C docking station, or WiGiG docking station in some configuration.

4. jbomb

5. surfaceproartist

The Bamboo Ink is definitely better than the current Active Pen. The Active Pen 2 isn't available in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. EnMod

EnMod Pen Pal - Newbie

7. jbomb

looking here http://www.wacom.com/en-us/comp and clicking bamboo ink
    I don't see these Lenovo devices on the list. Do you suppose it's just not tested yet? or is this not the right stylus?

8. surfaceproartist

I see a long list of Lenovo products there. I have the Bamboo Ink and Yoga 720 and can confirm that they're compatible.

9. jbomb

oooh, do tell, is there a big difference?? Do you think there will be a software upgrade as well?

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

@surfaceproartist, did you get a chance to put that machine through the paces in terms of sustained workload and monitored the temps/clock speeds? I've read user reports in a few places now saying that it throttles by default fairly aggressively to keep temps quite cool, sacrificing power to a noticeable degree. EDIT: Turns out Turbo boost is completely DISABLED on the CPU by default. It will never kick in on the i7 model! That's kind of crazy to me.
    I'm wondering if it clocks the same performance as say, the Vaio Canvas in raw CPU strength... T902 throttles the onboard GPU significantly, but lets the CPU go full tilt turbo boost for quite some time which was very important for me in large paintings and After Effects. Curious if it would still out-perform the Yoga 720 in those kind of tasks due to throttling.

It seems as if many people are getting more performance out of the 720 by re-enabling the turbo and then under-volting to get their CPU under 90 degrees Celsius... so at least its not all locked down in BIOS.

I'm just wondering if your aware of this, as this would impact how/when I recommend this machine to someone who needs to eek out lots of sustained performance in their line of work.