Which is better, XGA or SXGA+?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by cplusplus, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Jobo

Jobo Pen Pal - Newbie

This still doesn't answer one question for me... Does the Multi-view/Multitouch XGA Screen have better outdoor viewing, or does the Super-View SXGA+ Screen have better viewing? I have been looking at a lot of places and it doesn't seem to define this.

Please clear this confusion :)

Thanks!

P.S. The X61 Tablet is not pressure sensitive, correct?

2. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the SXGA+ X61t. This will surely give you the best and brightest screen of all x-Thinkpads, indoors and outdoors. But honestly do not try using it on a bright day. It is just not comfortable to read, even in the shadow. So far the only notebook I can attest to be comfortably usable outdoors is the MacBook Pro.

3. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

It is pressure sensitive and i believe all wacom tablets are.

Don't know how many pressure levels though, i think it might be less then on the external wacom-tablets.

4. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe 256 levels is the typical pressure sensitivity of wacom screens.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correct... 256 levels are indeed what is supported.

6. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 Pen Pal - Newbie

*passes out*
    Are you of relation to my friend who insists on making EVERYTHING into a technical discussion?
    I do understand what you're saying in your whole VERY long post, but I usually settle for just telling people the resolutions, and that the SXGA+ will give them more screen real estate... but you really out did yourself by writing up that... good job! ^_^

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Some people like to have the simple explanation, others want to dig down deeper and show the numbers/proof that one resolution displays more than the other. :)

This thread was also created at a time when the Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 only had the XGA configuration, since late August 2007, the SXGA+ display configuration was available.

8. match000

match000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I've read this guide, and its great; thanks for all the info.

But I'm still confused; it seems to be me like you should always be able to adjust the zoom factor and DPI on a SXGA+ and make it close to the same as an XGA.

With XGA, for 2-dimension text you lose 16% accuracy; with SXGA with DPI = 120 and Zoom = 120%, you lose 30% for 2-D text..

It was calculated as: 1 * 144 / 120 * 120% = 1 (for an SXGA adjusted to get 1:1 correspondence)

where 144 is physical DPI and 120 is logical DPI and 120% is zoom factor.

The point is that if you increase DPI from 96 to 120 on an SXGA, you lose much of the benefit of having an SXGA in the first place (screen estate), and you also get slightly distorted text.

But on the SXGA, why can't you just increase the zoom factor to even more, while keeping DPI @ 96 ?

What exactly is a "zoom factor" on a tablet? Is it like in MS Word, where you "zoom" in on the page, so that you can't view the entire page at once?

Is it possible to simply apply a Digitizer-driver "zoom factor" setting that automatically makes your writing at absolute same scale as you see (so that what you write is independent of the MS Word's current zoom). What I mean is, I want to just write and have it appear on the page exactly, regardless of the software's "view zoom". If I want to change the size of what I write, on the page, I'll just "zoom in and zoom out" on the software's "view zoom"..

Thanks

9. thomasz

thomasz Pen Pal - Newbie

XGA and SXGA aren't easy to comparative, I will find exactly.

10. vicvic

vicvic Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a HP TX2000 (WXGA 1280x800)

and a Lenovo Thinkpad X61 tablet (SXGA+ 1400x1050)

and I love X61 tablet screen.

SXGA+ !!!