which is better, HP tx2 or tx2500 for an artist?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by buu, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jang

Jang Pen Pal - Newbie

can anyone who has experience using both of these tell me if which one is better for an artist to use? this means i'll be using this mainly for drawing everyday.

i read that the tx2 has a better screen but the tx2500 has wacom. the screen is important because if i try to do a colored illustration on a bad screen it may look good there but everywwhere else it'll look bad. and i'm not too sure how the tx2 compares to tx2500 in terms of the drawing aspect because the tx2 doesnt have wacom stuff in it.

can someone please help me with this.

if all goes well, i'm planning to buy one next week.

thanks.

oh yeah, and also a followup question. can this play street fighter 4 when it comes out for the pc? since this will replace the laptop that i'm using right now, i'd like to know this as well if it can run it or not, i'm sorry but i just cant tell from the system requirements if it can or not because it's from different brands.

Minimum System Requirements
    Processor: 2GHZ or higher
    Memory: 1GB RAM or higher
    Hard Drive: 7GB Free harddrive space
    Video Memory: 7900GT or higher
    Sound Card: N/A
    DirectX: DX9
    Keyboard & Mouse: N/A
    CD/DVD Rom Drive: CD ROM

Recommended System Requirements
    Processor: 1.8GHZ Dual Core or higher
    Memory: 2GB
    Hard Drive: 7GB Free harddrive space
    Video Memory: 8800 GT or SLI
    Sound Card: 5.1 Surround or better
    DirectX: DX9
    Keyboard & Mouse: N/A
    CD/DVD Rom Drive: CD ROM

2. tannery2009

tannery2009 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am fixing to purchase the HP Touchsmart TX2Z. It may not have pressure sensitivity in Photoshop; however, I have read that it does have pressure in other art programs like Sketchbook Pro and ArtRage. I am also going to purchase the new Wacom Intuos4. You should check that out also. The
    TX2500Z may look appealing because of the Wacom digitizer, but I would choose the one with the better screen in a heartbeat. I'm not sure about the games question, but I do know that the TX2Z is your best bet when it comes to graphics. Its ATI Radeon 3200HD graphics card is the best in the tablet pc industry. Good luck with your decision making!

3. Jang

Jang Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the reply, i didnt know there was no pressure sensitivity on photoshop. that sounds like a big problem for me because i've been using photoshop for work.

i already have a tablet, it's a wacom bamboo and i'm looking to buy a tablet pc so that i wont have to use it anymore because after years of using a wacom tablet i just cant get used to drawing with it as well as when i can see what i am drawing.

anybody else have some advice for me on what i should buy?

4. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

The TX2 won't run Street Fighter 4 very well, if at all. The graphics TBH aren't that impressive (okay, but low-mid range compared to desktop gaming PCs) and SF4 is a brand new game (not even released).

It is the best amongst tablets (both TX2 and TX2500 use same video), but currently tablets are let down for powerful graphics support. Laptops are better, but still not that outstanding unless you pay mega-bucks and even then you won't be on par with desktops. The latest games, eg SF4, are best left to desktops to be honest.

You might also like to know that the screen in the TX2 has changed from what it was originally shipped with (from glossy to a matt finish). The new screen generally isn't considered as good, though opinions vary. Check the HP forum here for further details, but many consider it a big letdown.

5. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Thus, you may be best of with a TX2500 series tablet since at least you'll know what screen you're get and it will have photoshop pressure sensitivity.

That said if you're a serious artist you might what to consider other models (eg. Fujitsu or Toshiba) as they are more 'professional' orientated (build quality, less heat and noise, better screen, battery etc). The TXs are consumer grade models.

6. jason

jason Pen Pal - Newbie

I would not sugest the tx series for doing art. I bought one for that reason, and its not really usable at all. I recently got a refurbished fujitsu t4220 for less than i got my tx2500 for, and it is so much better in every way- build quality, screen, pen accuracy, speed, battery... So far I havent found anything that my old tx2500 has over my fujitsu. Movies and dvds may be better, but I havent tried those on my new tablet yet.
    In painter on my tx2500, it was all but unusable. Only a few tools worked. A simple stroke with some tools would lock the computer up for a minute. On my fujitsu, I dont have problems with almost any of the brushes. The only thing Ive run into is a split second delay when doing fast strokes with a large diameter with certain tools.

7. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use my tx2500z everyday in photoshop CS4 and it runs like a dream, no slow downs, absolutely perfect accuracy, no glitches, nothing to complain about at all. I dont know what was up with Jason's, but I didn't see any of that behavior.

I have 4GB of ram, 64bit OS and a 2.1GHz proc. Not sure if that makes the difference, but I love drawing on this thing. And with the 8cell battery I get 5.5hrs of usage. Can't beat that for $700!

8. st1tcount

st1tcount -Classified Information-

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but if your budget allows it, look into fujitsu t5010 its a very good tablet for artists (bigger screen, better build quality, better screen resolution, better processor, more expensive than tx2z or 2500). If you have to choose one from the Tx series, go for 2500 since pressure sensitivity in photoshop is important to you.

EDIT: If graphics processor means a lot to you, look up gateway tablets. I think they have discrete graphics although nothing high end. Gateway has terrible customer service however so try to get warranty from someone else (like a local retailer perhaps).

9. kcpkcp714

kcpkcp714 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2500z and as an artist, i am not happy with it. it is good as a general computer but for drawing for animation, the pen is not accurate even if i calibrate it constantly. i am now looking into the fujitsu t4220 because I see these for around 1000 for a refurb. i will be selling my tx2500z on ebay when summer starts.

10. conman

conman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi just got a new tx2 ( before I read all problems it has) can someone let me know the best way to speed this machine up? It is much slower than my old Toshiba with half the specs. I think I need to get rid of all the HP stuff? any help would be great cheers Neil