Which display adapter is used after a clean installation?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by mychi, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mychi

mychi Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a clean installation and let Windows choose most of the drivers online (some I had to tell it to search the SwSetup folder to get things work properly)..
    So I didn't install any ATI software and therefore am not able to switch graphics by myself..but does anyone know which adapter is used by default? Does Windows choose that depending on the power plan? Is there any way to see which one is active? In the device manager both are denoted by "works properly", I don't see which one is actually used..

Any ideas?

2. TheAlfred

TheAlfred Pen Pal - Newbie

3. mychi

mychi Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I think I somehow installed the HP driver now (SwSetup\driversVideo\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF) by saying windows I want to "have disk" during the driver update..
    afterwards I also started the setup.exe in SwSetup\Drivers\Video and installed the drivers (unchecking two other things that looked as if not needed)..

so far I didn't notice any difference except that I have 3 more autostarting processes in msconfig >:-(
    how can you tell which graphics is used or which driver is installed (I don't even know what this setup.exe did in the end)?

according to the post you linked I've got to go through some pain ;-) but how do I know I was successful? I don't really like stuff that permanently runs in the background (like the clickpad SW, the audio SW etc.) and is not really needed..I only want the correct drivers and may be some kind of possibility to switch graphics..

when I go to the drivers sticky thread it seems I have to install at least 5 things (3 additional links besides the HP drivers), WTF? is that really all needed?

4. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you might be able to tell which one is active from the adapter tab on advanced display properties. It'll only show the one that's being used. If I'm using the built in graphics it shows as Intel; if I switch graphics it shows as ATI.

(Control Panel -> Change display settings - Advanced settings)

Hope this helps.

5. mychi

mychi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tip! I've got ATI there..so somehow I do have the correct drivers or say I'm at least able to run on ATI graphics, I don't know if this was caused by the driver installation and setup.exe I did just before or if it was already there in the first place..

I think I remember that I used the SwSetup folder to install the driver for the (at that time unknown) "ATI Mobility ..." device..maybe I've been running on ATI graphics since then already..

How can switching graphics be done? Do I have to install software that then permanently runs in the background or is there another way?

6. mychi

mychi Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, when I'm on battery it says Intel, so it seems to switch depending on if I'm powered or not..I already tried to get it switching by changing the power plan but that doesn't seem to have an influence..

Also I clearly see it switching (screen going black a few times) so I guess my forced driver change did change things..

I guess I can live with that automatic switching if the only way to switch it manually would be to install software that runs in the background..

7. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like it is switching. Now you don't have the option to stop it switching if you want it to stay on the ATI driver all the time, though.

8. mychi

mychi Pen Pal - Newbie

Jep..I still do appreciate suggestions if anyone knows a way to switch graphics without having to pay the price of an always-running software..

But otherwise, as said, I think I can live with that (it still seems better than having only one driver running, i.e. always having either less battery life or less performance)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.