Which convertible is right for me? (Student)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Jan 12, 2006.

1. gxxshock

gxxshock Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey I was wondering if you guys can help me find the right convertible?
    I am going to start studying physics and figured that a tablet convertible might be the way to go for jotting down notes and drawings. I also do a little bit of picture/graphic editing. I think I want a laptop first and a tablet second.

My Budget is 1400$ but I am willing to buy refurbished/reserviced products if you guys can recommend that and if they include at least a year warranty

Currently I am looking at these models:
    -Acer C314XMi (found it for an awesome price of around 1300 NEW)
    -HP Compaq TC4200 (same price as above but refurbished, but with 1.86 GHz and 60GB HD)
    -Toshiba R15 (1100 Refurbished but in no competition to Acer)
    -Toshiba M4 (couldn't find a good price)
    -Toshiba M200 (too old?)

Please help me find the right convertible,
    thanks ;)

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would definatly go with the Toshiba R15 or the Toshiba M4. I am a college student and have an R15. It is all that I use. It is fast, reliable, and is everything I wanted. Plus, it is convertible. So if you want to take notes, just rotate the lucious 14.1in 1024x768 screen and lay it down flat on the keyboard. But if you need to type just keep it in laptop mode. I have never had any problems with my R15 but maybe you should get an M4 since it is newer. But I personally think that the extra video memory is not worth the extra few hundred bucks so I went with the R15 instead of the M4. Also, you know it is reliable because the M200, R15, and M4 have all been in the top 10 for a while now. And it has been a while since the M200 came out. And the R15 was up till recently in the #5 spot. the m4 is still #1. Go with the M4 or R15! Oh, andif your budget is 1400 then you might be able to get a new r15 since compusa and bestbuy recently had a sale that made the r15 base price 1400. I don't know if the sale is over or not though. hope this helps.

3. gxxshock

Thanks for your advice poetdante,
    the M4 is definitely too pricy for me :) While it seems to be an awesome convertible it starts at 1700$ with a toshiba direct buy. The R15 seems to be a solid value for about 1300$ (online or bestbuy) but if I can get soo much more performance with a c314 for the same price, why chose the R15? Does it have better battery life? Also does anyone know how the Acer C314 feels as a tablet and if its even usable as one (Screen resistance, pen feel, buttons in tablet mode)?

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd take a hard look at the new Gateway, it's definitely a notebook first and is great for those on a budget.

5. gxxshock

Just took a look at it, and it is quite nice. Though with a 1.7Ghz processor and 80 GB hd its 1600$ so over my budget. Now the question would be whether I need 1.7Ghz or if 1.4GHz would be enough. I also heard that the responsiveness of the Display is not good, does anyone know anything about that? The system is also quite heavy with 6.9 lbs. I think my top3 would be:
    1)Acer C314Mxi
    2)HP Compaq TC4200
    3)Toshiba R15
    Since those are also available from other online shops (thus cheaper than direct)

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

I don't believe you'll ever get a truly objective opinion here. We each have our own tablets chosen because we liked a specific feature or features best. No tablet is perfect. For me reliability, battery life, and portability topped the list. I ended up with the TC4200. I have had really good luck with other HP products I've owned and that no doubt had an impact on my decision. Battery life is amazing (for regular note taking and non-processor intensive tasks I am regularly getting 5+ hours).

All that having been said does that mean the Acer or Toshiba may not be a better choice for you, of course not. My recommendation is to actually try all three where possible. The Acer and Toshiba were available at a local computer store so I was able to play around with them a bit. As far as I can tell most other tablets have no local outlets. I was however fortunate that one of the people I go to church with had a TC4200 and I had a bit of time to play with that too.

In the end life is a compromise. I'd rather have had the DVD drive built in, but for how I use it that really hasn't been an issue. I like the smaller size and weight over the built in drive, others don't. If you do go with the HP, look at the LaCie drive. Much less expensive and seems to work great.

Good luck!

7. poetdante

Well I got my R15 because of my budget and because I did not need the extra video memory. also I am skeptical with the gateway. The R15 is by far the BEST value in terms of price versus features. I don't see how the acer offers more for the price as someone said above. I say the r15 has been one of the top tablets here ever since it came out. and there are currenly 3 toshibas in the top 10 and that has been for a while since the m200 came out a long time ago. anyway hope this helps. I just love my r15!

8. gxxshock

Well I was almost ready to order a C314 from this website: http://www.onixstyle.com/proddetail.php?prod=05406
    But the price just seems too good and I am also not able to find any information about the website, so currently I am hesitating. I also wrote emails to their customer service:
    "Hey,
    I've looked further into your only payment method (e-gold) and also could not find any information or reviews of your shop, and quite honestly it does not sound very legitimate.
    So I was wondering if you could please explain how the payment process works after I have an egold account and also if you could give me some kind of proof of legitimacy.
    Thanks in advance,"

"Dear Paul,
    Unfortunately at this time we I don’t think that you will find some feedback for our website because our store has open his gates from two days ago, we realize your concern but at this time we got no thing what to do. The payment process is very simple all you have to do is to open a e-gold account at www.e-gold.com after you have open your free no obligation e-gold account please fund-it with the necessary amount that you will have to pay for your order… for more information’s please visit the payments section from our website. After you have found your e-gold account with the necessary amount that you will have to pay for your order simply e-mail service@onixstyle.com to let our customer service department know that you are ready to pay for your order and immediately a customer service referent will let you know all the instructions to complete the payment for your order successfully. If you have any question please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank You
    Margaret Harrington
    Customer Service
    Onix Electronics Inc.
    www.onixstyle.com"

"Sorry but I am not interested anymore, it just seems like a too good of a deal (over 600$ cheaper than competitors) and I also found that apparently your store has "years of experience", how could that be while only being open for 2 days.

Paragraph:

Buy with Confidence

At OnixStyle.com, we believe in service with a smile. With years of experience and a track record as one of the industry's fastest growing companies, OnixStyle.com has what it takes for continued success. What does this mean to you ? You can do business with OnixStyle.com with confidence. We look forward to being of service to you.

http://www.onixstyle.com/about.php"

"Dear Paul,
    After you have opened your free no obligation e-gold account simply fund your e-gold account with the necessary amount that you will have to pay for your order and make a sped to our e-gold account number. Your order will be shipped immediately after your payment is confirmed. Sincerely we realize that you are concerned but at this time we got no thing what to do. We hope to start accepting credit cards very soon. If you have any question please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank You
    Margaret Harrington
    Customer Service
    Onix Electronics Inc.
    www.onixstyle.com"

"Dear Sir,
    Our company Onix Electronics Inc, has years of experience... Please let us know what to do with your order...

Thank You
    Margaret Harrington
    Customer Service
    Onix Electronics Inc.
    www.onixstyle.com"

So yeah everything sounds like a scam, especially with the weird paying method. But maybe you guys can reaffirm that this is a scam so I don't feel bad, having missed such a deal. Now I think I'll go for either the HP TC4200 (found a good deal at pricemad.com which I hope is legitimate) or with the R15.
    COMPLICATED

9. poetdante

Never heard of it. But most importantly: shame on you for not getting a toshiba! Secondly: shame on you for not getting a toshiba! and thirdly: shop at amazon or bestbuy. you can get the reward zone thing at best buy and get like 10 buck back from your Toshiba purchase. And I will say this once again: Get a toshiba tablet pc! they are the best!

10. Daring

Daring Moderator

I think you'll be happy whatever way you go. Just stay away from Toshiba ;), just kidding. If you do go refurb I'd recommend you make sure it is an HP factory refurb. There are third party companies which will refurb the machines and as such the warranty may vary. If it is an HP factory refurb, you'll get a one year parts and labor warranty with 2 day turnaround. New HP's get three years.

If you want the three year I think you can bump it up for $99 to purchase the remaining two years. Accidental coverage through HP is $169 for three years.