Which Cintiq model for desktop?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by chocow8s, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah someone gave me a huge drafting table once, with tilt and hydraulic height. I would get tired from sitting, then tired from standing, repeat...

Gave it to a friend who loves it.

It's weird, I get swollen legs at a desk. I think it's just from leaning forward, putting weight on my legs that cuts off circulation.

Otherwise, I have zero pains. I stretch and workout or run every day. No probs.

Couch + tablet & lap desk solved the office chair Jiu Jitsu

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah. Posture and back/shoulder/neck health is a real issue for draftspeople.

My solution is to make each position comfortable, and then to only stay in it for so long before changing. These days, I make a point of working in a variety of different environments, each with different furniture arrangements. In addition to my home studio drafting board set-up with Cintiq, I also built a wooden attachment for my TPC which allows three different usage positions. -I'm pretty proud of this solution, so I took some pics here...

TPC-stand1.jpg
    TPC-stand4.jpg
    TPC-stand5.jpg
    TPC-stand2.jpg
    TPC-stand.jpg

All of that combined doesn't solve everything; I still have to be careful, but so long as I remember to pay attention to my body and not get lost in a drawing for hours on end.., then I find back and neck pains don't bother me nearly as much as they once did. I used to get splitting headaches twice a week. Now I only need bi-monthly reminders not to be negilgent when I work.

Yoga also helps!

3. chocow8s

chocow8s Pen Pal - Newbie

@Azzart I see, thanks! I was going to forego Touch actually, as everything I hear about it tells me it's super buggy? I'll look into it again, though.

@ThorntonArtStudio.com I wasn't aware Thornton was a place, sorry. My bad. Was just thinking of one of my favorite characters. For the 22HD, I sort of just imagine being able to draw on my current 21.5" 1080p monitor, and images on that one don't look pixelated at all to me, so I'm hoping it'll be the same for 22HD. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Your sketchbook comparison makes a lot of sense...I sort of thought the 13HD might be too small, but when I estimated the UI and the resulting canvas size, it does look comparable to drawing on a normal sketchbook rather than anything far too small. I think I overestimated the size reduction.

@darkmagistric That's a comfort, thanks! I'll try it out and see if it improves/degrades the screen quality.

@thatcomicsguy That is an amazing solution!

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

4. ThorntonArtStudio.com

@chocow8s Thornton is actually my last name. What character?

22hd (obviously) will look just like your monitor pixel wise. Just with some visual grain and probably better color accuracy.

@thatcomicsguy ha that is awesome man! Versatile and modular. Love it

5. chocow8s

6. ThorntonArtStudio.com

Cool, never seen that, will check it out some time

The grain never bothered me, just the resolution. The color was accurate, etc. Although I'd like to see how much it blurs the image on the Companion 2.

That texture feels awesome to draw on. I never used a screen protector. Don't worry about scratching it by drawing, you won't, even if you use it for years.

Just don't use cleaning solutions on it.

7. chocow8s

Thanks a lot for all the advice, really appreciate it!