Which affordable Windows Tablet PC should I buy for digital art?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by sunnydayz, Jun 28, 2017.

1. sunnydayz

sunnydayz Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    around $300-$400 (if u can find one for under $300 it would be amazing) USD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows tablet PC

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    As long as it works. Chinese brands would be great too!!!! I've seen so many cheap ones online but I'm overwhelmed with the choices.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    6+ hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Digital art and web (the wifi must be good)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Paint tool sai, photoshop, Maya (Maya isn't that important)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1920x1080 or higher

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    I just want a pen with high pressure sensitivity (nothing under a 1000, 2048 would be ideal) and no jitter. I really don't want a battery inside of it but if I can't find one that doesn't need a battery then it's fine.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    64 gb+, 4 gb+ ram, yes for expandable memory

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB and microSD and/or SD card for expandable memory (anything else is a plus)

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    A kickstand like the one the surface pro has so I can prop it up on a table and draw (this it not required but would be cool).

Bluetooth so I can connect a keyboard to it. If it already comes with a keyboard that's fine too!

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    It's very important that the battery life doesn't drain quickly and that it very pressure sensitive. I also would prefer if the tablet is not very heavy because I'll be taking it around with me to work on art commissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Andrzej

Andrzej Pen Pal - Newbie

Finding a decent Windows tablet at your price point with good inking capabilities is not easy.

The cheapest one from a known manufacture is probably the ASUS Transformer Mini T102. It has a Surface style design with a kickstand, active pen support (1024 pressure points) but it's a bit small at 10.1 inches. It comes with an Intel Atom x5 Z8350, which is fine for a lot of things, but not very powerful. 4GB of RAM and 64GB - 128GB storage. Starts at 349 on Amazon US.

Another more powerful option is the Acer Switch 3. It has a 12 inch display, full hd resolution, more powerful Intel Kaby Lake CPU and 4GB of RAM. Has a kickstand similar to Microsofts Surface series as well. It's 449 USD on Acers website with an Intel N4200 but there should be a cheaper version on the way with an N3350.

There are a couple of Chinese tablets that offer a stylus as well but I have never tried any of them, so... can't make any recommendations.

darkmagistric and sunnydayz like this.
  3. sunnydayz

Woah!!! Thank you so much!!!! I don't mind paying $49 above my budget! I'll take a look at both.

Does the Acer switch have Wacom pen pressure?

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Asus Mini T102 I would have trouble recommending for Artwork. Its aging Cherry Trail Atom Core and the Pro3 Era N-trig Pen system its got isn't the best combo for decent performance in Art Apps.(that aside, I adore the concept/size/price of that tablet, if only Core M and Wacom AES)

From a pure price point perspective.....the Cube Mix Plus is the best bet. Kaby Lake Core M, Wacom EMR Pen, 4gb/128GB.....all for around $400 (keyboard is extrra)
    http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_590393.html

I would also say the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6........but thats at its lowest $629 which is a bit out of your price range.

The Huawei MateBook is also a good value buy....$550 currently......but I have seen it on sale for as low as $399 previously on the Microsoft Store Website (limited time sale?)
    But there are a few ebay listings for roughly $400ish

https://www.ebay.com/i/262729291082?chn=ps&dispItem=1

sunnydayz likes this.
  5. sunnydayz

I'm considering the cube mix plus, it sounds really good. I'm concerned because people have said that it heats up.

Is the Cube or Matebook better?

Ya I really like the Samsung galaxy book but I can't afford it.

I've also heard about the Asus Vivotab 8. Does anyone know if it's good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

New?

I don't think it can be done. Not for $300. Not even for $400.

If you can relax your stance on the used and refurb scene, however, then suddenly there's plenty of choice in the eBay market.

I've seen full 21" Cintiqs for under $300. Heck, I'm using one right now. Cost me around $250 USD, (before the pen, which I had to buy separately, but still...!) -It's a bit dinged up, but it's a solid workhorse.

If you want a core i5 Windows portable, you can *easily* find something for under $200. (And they come with excellent battery-free pen tech! -Not with the pressure levels you want, but with the pressure levels most users actually need. "Pressure Sensitivity" is like "Torque" on a sports car. It's an impressive sounding term which your average user doesn't really understand and won't notice the difference between in any practical way.)

"New" is for absolutely MUST-HAVE bleeding edge tech, -and folks with more cash to spend than the rest of us cheap-ass artists. (We absolutely love and respect those folks around here, btw! Somebody has to finance this niche market by buying new gear at list price!)

WillAdams and sunnydayz like this.
  7. sunnydayz

Hahaha I'm a really cheap artist. I'm concerned about refurbished laptops though, what if they come scratched up and break?

Aman likes this.
  8. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't believe nowadays there is something for almost every one.

There are only two good options for cheap artists -
    The galaxy Tab A with S-Pen and the Asus transformer Mini 2017 edition.
    However I would definately suggest Core M3/i3 devices for windows if I want a relatively smooth experience on a budget.

If a pure slate device is just fine then galaxy Tab A will deliver better experience than the Asus transformer mini in terms of smoothness.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

sunnydayz likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sunnydayz likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I actually find eBay goods (used) are generally more reliable than new items. Factory fresh goods have a fairly high chance of being defective on arrival (somewhere around 10-20% it seems, depending on the manufacturer) and need to go through the return/repair cycle before they are properly ship shape, whereas used gear has already been put through the wash, so to speak. Their flaws and signs of wear are generally listed in the descriptions and pictures, so you can decide up front what you're willing to tolerate before laying out any cash. Sometimes you can get excellent hardware for extremely reasonable prices.

WillAdams and sunnydayz like this.