which 12"+ fanless/very quiet EMR device?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by thkn777, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thkn777

thkn777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    my main drawing device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen and I am looking for something with a bigger screen size. Since I like quiet devices I already checked fanless Surface Pro (disliked the pen) and am unsure about ipad pro because I've got no experience with apple devices at all.

Would be nice to hear your thoughts on that. Thanks in advance.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    1.500 EUR max

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    yes, but only if all main/important components are in very good condition. I can live with scratches at the backside, but display has to be flawless. You get the idea.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    leaning towards a tablet, but wont rule out something else

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    aiming at A4 drawing area, that should be around 12-13" depending on screen ratio, right?

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Germany

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    6hrs+ heavy use, 8hrs+ normal use

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    drawing/painting, email/web surfing, light notetaking, light image processing, light gaming

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    already got windows and android devices, but am open for suggestions

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Android: Infinity Painter
    Windows: Artrage, Leonardo

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    would be nice and a bonus, if the device could run some games. Think of Shadowrun, Atlas Reactor and Guild Wars.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    no. Doesn't have to be ultra high dpi if that's what you're asking.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    matte/antireflex is a must. A working screen protector, that I can put on a glare display is ok.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Wacom EMR. Staedtler Noris digital is my pen for everyday usage. Pen pressure and tilt support is a must.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    enough for drawing projects and reference files. On Android I get along well with 16GB atm. Windows... should be 128GB+ (rough guess)

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    As long as I can connect USB devices in some way and they work for all file types, I am fine.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    stable wifi

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't vouch for noise on any of these, but Wacom EMR + tilt + more than 12 inch screen already narrows it down quite a bit. Here's roughly what you're looking at:

Older (and therefore cheaper) Cintiq Companions

Samsung Galaxy Book series

HP ZBook X2 (I certainly hope this isn't fanless, it's a powerhouse and I'd cry if they crippled it like that, it's on my wish list.)

As far as I know, those are the only Wacom EMR devices that use drivers that support tilt? Most Wacom EMR tablet PCs have tilt disabled.

But it kind of sounds like you might get along better with a Cintiq display than with a tablet PC. Such a device would be silent, and have the matte screen you want. It's not quite as portable, since you'd have to lug along whatever's doing the actual computing too. It might also need to be plugged in (pretty sure the older ones at least take a standard power supply) so that cuts down portability a lot. If you're mostly drawing at home or somewhere else indoors and near an outlet, it still might be the drawing experience you're looking for.

Note that your pen will work on the Galaxy Book and on the HP ZBook X2, but not on the Cintiq Companions. It won't work on most Cintiqs, but there are a few older cross-compatible models, like the Cintiq 15x.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Um....actually....the current Cintiq Pros I do believe have Fans in them. The older ones like my 21ux certainly don’t.....but I do recall that being disscussed somewhere on this forum before. Can’t remeber if it was pertaining to the 16 incher of one of the 20incher.

4. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Huh, did not know! I wonder why, since I didn't think they were doing any processing themselves. An older one would still work, though.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've wondered that as well. If I had to guess....based on my experience with the 21ux....perhaps it was to mitigate the heat generated by the screen? My 21ux....during a prolonged usage would get very warm to be around......and given how long an artist can be hunched over one creating artwork....I could see that rational being plausible.

6. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Though it has its problems, there's also the Acer Switch 7 which ticks off your main requirements: 13.5", Wacom EMR, fanless, tilt support. You can find it on Amazon for $1400US. Unfortunately, it has notoriously low battery life, there are no specific Wacom/Acer drivers for the stylus, whose single button is non-functional, and because it's fanless the CPU throttles at high temps. You can read all about it here (the last few pages have actual hands on info):

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/acer-switch-7.72827

Unless I'm mistaken, the AS7 is the only modern Wacom EMR PC tablet that's fanless.

I personally would recommend either the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 or the HP Zbook x2 G4, both of which have fans and low battery life (when used for work) but drawing on them is excellent with their Wacom EMR digitizers and have USB-C ports you can use to attach PD power banks for prolonged battery life (I guess you can say the same for the Switch which has thunderbolt). You can also look into the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen series which I've heard good things about, but they're tent-style tablets.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Considering your budget and use case I'd say iPad Pro 12.9" 2018.
    Just bought mine 256gb for €1550 with Pencil and Apple Care+.
    Drawing is smooth as butter, battery life is the best you can get on these kind of devices, lightweight, fanless, works like a beast even on my 10000x4500px file with at least a hundred layers in Clip Studio.

Next best thing the Galaxy book 12 which is cheaper, but honestly the iPad in my experience is more powerful.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Galaxy Book 12 is not very useful IMO due to lack of Wacom Feel driver. Wintab makes all the difference on Wacom EMR devices.

If you can deal with iOS quirks and lack of file system, get the 12.9" iPad Pro. Just don't bend it accidentally. If you can deal with smaller 10.5" screen, get the new iPad Air. much better deal, much more sturdy device.

Don't forget to use Clip Studio Paint with it.

9. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

@Shogmaster is right, it's a shame Samsung doesn't provide a dedicated driver for the stylus that's similar to Wacom's, even though it's the same tech (the basic driver gives you 3 choices for the pen button: Do Nothing, Air Command, or Windows Ink - and allows you to change the pressure sensitivity, which is kinda useless). Compared to the Zbook, which has a driver that's basically Wacom's but with HP's branding, it doesn't offer any real customization (HP allows display toggle!). And playing around with the GB12 some more using Sketchpad, it seems the initial activation force required seems higher than the Zbook's (at least I think that's what it is, the Zbook allows for more subtle light brush strokes with tilt than the GB12 does). But the Samsung does OK as a sketch machine (it's still Wacom EMR) and overall tablet PC, its cons notwithstanding.

Shogmaster likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I also want to add that the lack of Wacom Feel Wintab impacts how the pen performs. There is significant pen feel difference between using Wacom EMR devices with Windows built in pen driver and Wacom Wintab pen driver.

I gave up on the 8th gen i7 Samsung Notebook Pro 15 after couple of days when the pen feel did not live up to even what AES devices felt like with Feel driver.

11. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I used it as my only working machine for quite some time, and guess what? It's still the best tablet pc for drawing I've ever had.
    Much better than the Cintiq Companion or the Cintiq 27 pen wise.
    I still have to 10.6 and it's great for drawing with the Steadtler Noris.

WillAdams likes this.