Where to try out Tablet PC's?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Ghengis, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archy

Archy Pen Pal - Newbie

Good Evening!
    I was thinking about finding a big box store that may carry some Tablet PC's to try & get the feel for one.

I'm really hooked on the Fujitsu Stylistic Series, most likely the 4000 series. Best Buy & Circuit City both have nothing listed on their websites.

I live in RI if it helps for store selection.

2. nwflyboy

nwflyboy Pen Pal - Newbie

This is -- and has always been, I think -- one of the biggest obstacles to the widespreade adoption of Tablets. Few people are ever exposed to them. Even if you have some knowledge of their existance and you're interested in trying one out, it's nearly impossible. The few tablets you can find in the big electronics stores almost always have critical flawas: the styus either ahs been stolen, or it's been hidden by the sale staff because they don't want it stolen.

I wanted to try out a Fujitsu Lifebok, and was able to find one at my local Frys, but it was as described above (no pen) and worse -- not really usable.

I ended up ordering one from Costco.com, because they offer a 90-day no-cost, no-hassle refund policy. I figured that was the only way I could really get a good feel for it. I've had it less than a week now and am generally happy, although I really haven't put it thorugh its paces enough to really tell yet. So far so good...and I've got more than 2 months to make up my mind.

Good luck!

3. Archy

Archy Pen Pal - Newbie

I was afraid of that. Unfortunately I don't have the cash for a new Tablet, and therefore I want to purchase one on ebay. We all know ebay doesn't do refunds! lol.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Keep an eye on this page:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/sales/

It has scans of sales circulars for all the big box office supply and computer stores. It's updated weekly. I've seen tablets in it quite a few times. I would expect the tablets in those ads to be found in the stores for the period of the sale.

5. Archy

Archy Pen Pal - Newbie

That site is awesome, thank you for that!!!

6. Ghengis

Ghengis Pen Pal - Newbie

I went to Office Depot and Micro Center, among others. The Office Depot had the HP tx2110, and the Micro Center had the HP as well as the Lenovo X61 tablet version. Basically, the bigger the computer store, the more tablets they're likely to have out to play with.

I gotta second that suggestion for Costco, though -- the money you save on eBay, you'll probably spend buying another one when it craps out in six months or a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.