Where to get updated X220 OS?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by bonoz, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Does Lenovo put up an updated factory reset Windows OS on their website somewhere that we can download? I have the copy that came with the laptop on a flash drive, but that's about it. Is there something else?

Thanks

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

They don't make one with all the windoows patches/fixes if that's what you're asking. It's going to be the same as the supplied USB version. You can build a recovery disk from the pre-boot partition on the unit if you have a DVD/CD attached or you can call Lenovo and order one for money, it's never downloadable since it's windows OS. It will be the same as Windows and all the drivers were at the time the unit was sold (or earlier). You will then have to run the Windows and Lenovo updates to get the system to the latest version.

3. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to ask a follow-up. Is it recommended to go factory reset with whatever OS settings came with the laptop? (If you have an SSD as OS drive?)

or can you be okay with installing a fresh new Win7x64 copy?

Thanks

4. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to ask, did you get 32bit or 64bit when you ordered? If you're trying to upgrade from 32 to 64, there is a possibility that Lenovo (if you ask) will send you a copy or an upgrade disk. Your existing key for the 32bit is valid for 64 bit but you can only have one active at a time, which might require a call to MS to explain why you're using it again (or an uninstall on the current system with network active). The last time I looked at a Lenovo upgrade disk, they had every version of Windows on it (it's all the same basically with a few added apps/functions, just what's loaded) so there was Home, Business and Enterprise but based on what was detected on the PC was what was installed (and your key wouldn't work with a forced upgrade). A re-install may even ask if you want 32 or 64 bit, I think the Vista to Win7 from Lenovo did ask.

There are plenty of people who feel that original windows, naked from Lenovo apps is the way to go. (there's usually a thread on this in the top of the Lenovo forum here with instructions). However, if you like the special function keys (for turning on wifi or bluetooth) and want the rotation and other tablet buttons and the other functions, you would have to load the drivers for that from the lenovo device matrix on top of windows. Lenovo doesn't make it clear which parts require other parts first, so the item referred to as Hot Keys requires another underlying driver support to make it work. So if you go through and read the read me for each piece you can keep all the tablet functions and not load the Lenovo apps. The lenovo power management tools are better tuned than the generic windows one.

I'm a long time fan of some of the apps (not the ad parts however) and I find it easy to make the Toolbox not hunt for updates or scan the system as frequently. The Toolbox makes it easy to winnow out the Windows system error messages that matter (as an example), check that you have the latest approved by Lenovo drivers and do a integrated system test. I also like the backup and restore software over plain windows. The Lenovo wireless software has become less useful over the years (it's cute graphically, though for the spacial relationships to AP and other computers), and only really useful for people to switch workplace wifi sites with different configurations needed for printers etc that might be handled by other configuration tools or on the network itself.

So it's a toss up, IMHO, unless you have a specific reason. It's certainly easier to just re-install since you won't have to do driver matrix research to get all the functionality back.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally I say do a clean install of Windows 7 (same version as what you have on the COA key -so Professional if it says Professional, and so on), then choose x64 if you have/ are planning on installing 4+ GB of ram, otherwise go with x86 (you can use the same COA key for either x86 or X64). A clean install will let you build up the system from the ground up while keeping it fully active legally, basically the most efficient use of the system. In all my installs testing of Linux to Windows and beyond I have always found the clean installs of Windows work noticeably better/ faster than the factory images (even on the Thinkpad T500) and it gives you greater control over it all... that all said, while you have a better chance of doing more tweaking on a clean install, you have to know at least a little about what you are doing, have the tools [namely, you need a generic Windows 7 install disc with the proper version, and a DVD drive, or the know how to turn a disc image and put it on a USB thumb drive for booting from], also that you are not relying 100% on the computer working right away as something can always go wrong and require you to reinstall again, and be sure to back-up any data you want to save, and download all the drivers from Lenovo's site before doing the clean install because things like Wi-Fi and Ethernet are not guaranteed working on a clean install [just plan ahead some]

I rather enjoy sticking my hands in the systems [physically by replacing thermal compound and doing any other small modifications I see fit, and metaphorically] so my preference is always a clean install with setting it up myself; but most aren't as knowledgeable about what needs to be done, and many more are afraid of making a mistake and they don't feel comfortable doing it. IMO if you have the discs and all that, you should just give it a go and see how it goes, if something goes wrong learn why it did, then go back at it again.

If you want any help on whatever you choose just post back here, best of luck!!

PS: whatever you do, only install the Wacom driver from Wacom, other drivers usually do not work 100% (pressure sensitivity in programs, ect...)