Where to buy a new thermal cable

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by anguscoleman, May 9, 2016.

1. anguscoleman

anguscoleman Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know where to buy a thermal cable to replace my old one? My fans slate has started to work non stop, but it looks really tough to find a new one. I have watched on ebay of many countries..

Can you help me? Maybe somebody has it home. :)

Thank you

Angelo

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I bought 2 as spare....send me a pm

3. T3thMan

T3thMan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm searching for one myself, searched around the world and everyone is out of stock or discontinued.

4. drycake

drycake Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you send them to me, I am in Quebec and have 2 ep121 broken sensors. tell me method of payment

5. mike-s

mike-s Pen Pal - Newbie

I looked on and off for over twelve months and numerous hours of my time trying to find a replacement for my thermal cable, I found exactly nothing. Of the two or three sites that still have the cable listed as an available part, all said that they don't stock it and had to go to their supplier to get it, and that their supplier (likely the same place) wasn't able to source it any longer.

I then tried to initiate repair myself, unfortunately even using a thermal ink pen, a small glob of cured resin to almost join the two ends of my broken cable (it was a torn cable, not a failure of a thermal IC) and a extremely powerful magnifying lense, but my skill (even though I'm half decent at fine detail work) wasn't enough to be able to repair the double sided trace as the 0.2mm track pitch was too fine for me to be able to initiate a repair.

I then decided it was time to get out the arduino equipment and start refreshing my programming skills and to find the smallest arduino I could get my hands on. It isn't the prettiest job I have ever done, but the end result here works sufficiently well to be able to keep using the tablet, which is one heck of an improvement. Basically I have intercepted the PWM control signal being sent from the motherboard to the fan and substituted my own in its place based on the temperature of a thermistor snugly located next to the cpu, slowing the fan down significantly. I have also tapped into the fan speed line from the fan to the motherboard so that If i ever decide to serial monitor the fan output, i can get an indication of the fan speeds on a two pin serial monitor out from the controller.

I could possibly have used a smaller controller, but the prices per-unit start getting quite a lot higher if I use a smaller board (this one was about $7/unit, compared to $25+ for even smaller boards),. Also the bare IC versions are a lot thicker chip than using a pre-fabbed board with a surface-mount version of the electronics already soldered onto the mini pcb, and would be too thick to fit inside heat shrink easily enough and not push against the rear of the chassis as there is only about 6.5-7mm thickness to work with.

Last edited: May 7, 2017