Where is this located in the machine (T4215).........

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by FujitsuFreak, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FujitsuFreak

FujitsuFreak Pen Pal - Newbie

Where, in the Fujitsu Lifebook T4215, is the wireless adapter card that I plan on replacing? Is there a guide out there for this? Thanks! I found the RAM and the hard drive, but where is the wireless adapter located?

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not sure about the Fujitsu, but on every laptop I have worked on the wireless card is not designed to be "user accessible". This is not to say it can't be done... just that you'll need to break out the ol' screw driver and be willing to invalidate any warantee that remains on your laptop.

Most times it seems the wireless card is located on the bottom of the laptop or behind the keyboard. I couldn't find any disassembly instructions for your laptop, but the keyboard is usually the easier of the two to remove so I would start there. Once you have confirmed that the wireless card is not behind the keyboard, and if you're brave, start by removing ALL of the screws attaching the bottom of your laptop. Do not forget to look behind battery/hard drive compartments as some manufacturers hide screws in these places. Gently remove the bottom (it may not break away freely, however if it seems stuck in a certain place ensure there isn't a screw you missed). Once the bottom is off locate the wireless card. It should have two or three wires attached to it and will probably be miniPCI form factor.

While you are doing all of this take pictures and prepare a DIY for everyone else. While they may not have the exact same problem as you, instructions on disassembly can be helpful for those trying to repair other hardware/upgrade issues.

Finally, I'm a HUGE advocate of dusting the innards of your computer while it's open. Tablets tend to be small and have problems dissipating heat, so whatever dust can be blown out while it's open will only help, just be aware of static and take precautions.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gateway's are easily accessable with a few screws over the cover. :)

4. TabbedOut

Bite me, LOL... I seem to purchase laptops from manufacturers (HP, Toshiba, Dell) that all make it difficult to do these seemingly simple upgrades.

5. FujitsuFreak

So taking apart my computer will void the warranty? Do you think if I brought my computer to.... let's say... Geek Squad (or firedog) that they would replace the part for me>

6. TabbedOut

I'm pretty certain that your warranty will be voided by cracking the case. Geek Squad et al will probably do the work, but it will be expensive. Why exactly do you want to replace the part? Is it broken, or are you trying to upgrade?

7. FujitsuFreak

Well, I want to update to the new wireless-N, since I just got a new router, I also want a card that will work with OSX86. So yeah. I already picked one out, and am about to order it, I just wanted to know if it's difficult to replace. Want the link to the one I am getting?

8. TabbedOut

Sure, post the link. If it was me I would open the case and do it myself. The amount that you pay a repair shop to do this upgrade may be more than what the card cost, but if you are uncomfortable, or not detail oriented you may prefer to have them do the work. Simply upgrading the card though may void your warranty... you may want to research this if it is an issue for you.

9. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Alright, I did some photos just for you =) First, the standard disclaimers... and also note that mine is the Fujitsu T4210, not the Fujitsu Siemens T4220 (or any other variant), though I think they should largely be the same - don't be surprised if the photos don't match up exactly with what you have.

That said, on the way in I didn't seem to find/break any stickers or otherwise do anything which might indicate voiding of the warranty; but you might want to note that some time after I first delved in (this is the second time) I found my BIOS locked. Whether this is the work of a prankster or Fujitsu's way of paying me back for toying with their baby I don't know, and will probably only find out when I have the time to go down to FSC in 2 weeks' time.

Anyway, on with the search for the elusive 3945ABG =)

1) The keyboard and kb lock are secured by 3 screws at the bottom - look for the arrow indicators beside the screw holes directly beneath the hinge. (I had a photo of this but it got corrupted by Snipping Tool, so just take a look at your own, it shouldn't be hard to find)

2) The keyboard lock (my own name for it) is a long strip, the length of your keyboard, that sits beneath the screen and in front of the keyboard (the strip with the rotation arrow indicators). It is secured by hooked clips at its extreme ends, with tabs along its front row.

To remove, gently pry the left and right ends (circled above) upwards with a flat, thin object (it helps to swivel the screen left/right to aid in the prying process), and carefully slide it under the screen towards you to remove. You'll need to hold down the F7-F9 keys as you do so, to allow the screw shaft to come clear (look at photo).

[​IMG]

3) Once the keyboard lock is free, the keyboard is easy to remove. Pull it forward to release the lower tabs, and remove it, detaching the ribbon cable if you wish.

[​IMG]

The elusive 3945 chip is now in full view; can you find it? [edit: sorry, it's way past midnight and I got reminded of Where's Wally...]

To remove, just push the two locking tabs in the indicated direction. remember to pull out the two antenna heads first.

To reassemble, just follow the above procedures in reverse. Simple and easy; photos and all, it took me no more than 5 minutes (might have some trouble with removing the keyboard lock though).

Let me know if you need more photos =)

[edit]More detailed photos and instructions on disassembly of the keyboard locking strip here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. FujitsuFreak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.