Where does ASUS's support stand currently?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by msgnyc, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Im comin from a Samsung 500T. My right speaker went out just a few days past my 30 days return window, but Amazon gladly took it back thankfully. Aside from that I had no other issues with it aside from an occassional speaker pop. I am however a tad bit glad it went out. I had an A01 so now if I choose the ATIV again I can get the A04 with nfc. Why Samsung released so many varients of the same device for the same price it just beyond me. Its just stupid and confusing for the consumer imho.

Im currently awaiting my refund and am contemplating getting the ASUS. While I liked the ATIV, the build materials were lackluster to me. Im not a fan of Samsungs overabundant use of slippery glossy plastics and their color choice. I know it sounds a bit vain, but i don't like the color of the device. I know the Asus is damn near identical to the ATIV spec wise and fetches a premium price tag over it, but that doesn't bother me too much. I tell just keep telling myself you pay a premium for premium build materials and the battery built into the dock. Tho I am not a fan of the lack of a fullsized usb on the tab itself. Hanging dongles are tacky ASUS. Stop it....... Lol. The Vivotab just feels better in hand tho and feels like the better build device. Roughly the same price for the docks aswell and the extra battery life with the ASUS dock would be great.

How does ASUS's support currently stand with this device? Samsungs has been stellar as of late with updates to software, drivers and firmware pouring in every couple of days. Has ASUS finally gotten around to updating drivers and attempting to fix all the issues i keep seeing on this forum with the tab itself and the kb dock or are those of you still having to pull drivers from competing devices in an attempt to solve these issues because ASUS just isnt supporting it still? Lack of support from the manufacturer can/will be a huge deterrent for me.

If presented with the option again would those of you with the 810 purchase it again over the ATIV or any other competing ATOM tablet? As I would love to step up to an i5 I would prefer the battery longevity of the Atom proc. 5ish hours will not cut it for me for a mobile device of thus type with out swapable batteries of any sort.

I appologize for the long winded post. I just want to try and make the best decision for myself before throwing down another $800+ on a device while regretting not going another route. I was also leaning towards the Thinkpad Tab 2 abit, but don't like having to charge the bluetooth kb seperate from the device and having to also buy the desktop dock inorder to gain a 2nd usb port. Lack of a touchpad for gestures is abit disconcerning aswell, but I do like the size and build of the device itself tho.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Support is non-existent. No driver or bios updates and actually no sign of the device on their US website, though it is on their global one. I'm not sure I would buy it again, the saving grace at the moment is the drivers from other OEM's which are compatible due to the identical SOC. However contacting Asus support tends to result in the same solution; send your device in for repair, even for issues that would be fixed by an driver update.

I should probably have gone for the Lenovo Lynx, but didn't like the looks (same reason I didn't go Samsung), but one thing in Lenovo's favour is they have a support forum where you can at the very least have a conversation with a company representative which gives a better chance of getting any issues resolved. If you're happy with this forum being your sole support then buy it but if you are hoping Asus will provide adequate support, so far it seems that wont hapen. There's also the issue of missing Wacom drivers which appear to be available for the Samsung so if that is important this is not the device for you.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Absolutely none. Which still keeps me wondering what kind of stupid manufacturer would make a product with a premium pricing and just forget about it.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

4. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you kindly for your responses. I honestly wasn't expecting to get any response so quickly. Lol

That is extremely disappointing as I really do want to love the device. Nonexistent support of a new premium priced device such as this is beyond me. Especially after hearing about the great support they give their Android lineup.

Unfortunately Wacom support is very important to me else the ideapad Lynx would surely garner another look. This device is intended to replace my tried and true tc1100 and le1600. They've served me well over the years but i think its finally time to upgrade. I feel like I've been waiting forever for a true replacement candidate to become available on the market. android and iOS dont even come close imho.

1 final question however which could still possibly sway me towards the 810. Is it possible to boot up a Fedora or Ubuntu live USB? This irks me about the ATIV. I would preferably like to install Fedora (my main use OS) onto the devices sdcard. With the ATIV, Ubuntu Live USBs wont boot at all and Fedora only boots partially. It loads up, but then throws an error msg when attempting to verify or load the OS files.

Thank you again for you replys.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cant help you with that request, im afraid as im not aware if this device will even boot from USB or how to change the boot menu in the first place. Havent seen any info on accessing the bios so far.

6. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, may just bring a live usb stick with me to the microsoft store then and test it out myself. Thank you tho.

Im sure they'd allow me to test the devices ability to boot from usb since ill actually be throwing down $800+ buying a device and im not just screwing around.

Not sure if its the similar, but incase u wanted to know for future purposes perhaps, on the ATIV at the oem splash screen on boot up just press and hold the windows button to enter the bios settings. To boot from usb you could either press F9 during boot up to choose what device you wanted to boot from or from within W8 itself, bring up the charm bar/settings/more pc settings. Then from there go to the general tab and scroll down to i think it was advance start up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

To boot from USB, you have to turn off Fast Boot in the BIOS. When this is on, the Tablet only attempts to boot from the internal memory. If you're going to be booting an OS other than Windows you'll also need to turn off Secure Boot.

Apparently you can also turn off fast boot temporarily by holding the power button and volume down when you turn the tablet on, too.

Not sure the point in running anything other than Windows on these tablets to be honest, they're optimised for Windows. You'll get nowhere near the performance or battery life with other Operating Systems. There are much cheaper alternatives that will give you the same, if not better experience with Linux.

8. Breed

EDIT: Double post. Oops

9. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

The tablets aswell as the cpu are new. Give it time and Linux will work just aswell on them as W8 does just as other machines designed for a Windows experience. The way I see it, W8 is optimized to run on these tablets. You optimized the software to the hardware not vice versa. Software can be changed/updated to get better performance out of the hardware at a later date.

Takes a little while for Linux to get going on new devices such as these because they are new and new drivers and such are made and optimized for Windows. The Linux community needs time with a device after it launches to get the ball rolling while they are designed to run Windows from the get go.

Why would I choose to run Linux on these systems? Linux is my main OS and I feel more comfortable using it firstly. Secondly what other options is there for a low cost tablet/laptop hybrid with capacitive/active digitizer? ;)

10. Breed

Intel explicitly stated on September that they would not be releasing drivers for the Clover Trail platform for Linux, which would mean everything from graphics to sound to power management would have to be written from scratch by the community.

However, Lenovo have just announced an Android Smartphone powered by Clover Trail, so I'd imagine its a wait and see scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.