Where did i go wrong with my new pen and also wacom calibration?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by scot, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scot

scot Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, i have a feeling i know what the answer to this is going to be, but i hope hope hope that i am wrong.

I was researching my new tablet (Lenovo x201t) and i saw somewhere that while you cannot use Wacom Intuos or Cintiq pens, you CAN use old wacom Graphire or Bamboo pens on any penabled tablet PC.

so i wanted a pen with a second button and a little more heft than the one included with my tablet, and bought this:

Amazon.com: Bamboo Fun Pen Black: Electronics

It is as far as i can tell a normal Bamboo pen. Yesterday when it arrived, i fired up my PC and while my original pen still works fine, the new Bamboo one does not respond.

is there a place where i need to tell the computer to look for a new pen? or something i need to do to activate it? or (as i might fear) did i buy a pen incompatible with my computer and just need to return it and get soemthing else (suggestions?)

ALSO --

i have been looking a lot at what this person did -- as their review of the X201t is what swung me around to it -- and here is a step by step they gave for having the wacom driver updated--

deviantART: fox-orian's Journal: Your Tablet PC and Drivers, Calibrating the Pen

BUT -- i have yet to be able to see calibration that he describes where it is only 2 points ...every time i try it is still 4. does this mean i have not started running on Wacom drivers when using programs like photoshop? (i still have pressure sensitivity -- but not sure if having wacom drivers (provide that i dont already) active would provide an extra level of enjoyment and more accurate whatever than what i have now

thanks in advance for all you guys and your helpfulness. these forums have really really been a life saver for this whole process.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Bamboo pens definitely don't work. Too bad since they're nice pens for the price, especially if you buy it with a graphics tablet.

3. scot

scot Pen Pal - Newbie

RATS. thanks for the info though. explains why my deal didnt work...so then what would i search for on amazon?

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@scot
    First of all, the pen isn't accurate for you? my HP Tm2 is almost perfectly accurate, it only moves 2-3 pixels away at the worst, but it is usually dead on (for touch and pen input)

The pen you bought is WRONG, I'm sorry but that person hardly seems to know what they are talking about at all. The reason it doesn't work is that the pen works off of a different frequency (like the new type of modems that run at 5 Ghz, as opposed to the older ones at 2.4 Ghz). The Tablet PC technology is similar to, but older than the current Wacom stuff.

The pen that does work with almost any Tablet PC is the Studio Pen from Axitron, they are nice dual side switch pens with really good pressure sensitivity, and an eraser; they are a bit larger than standard pens. You can find it here Axiotron Studio Pen Modbook Tablet PC's By Wacom items - Get great deals on Computers Networking items on eBay.com! The price is really good for a Tablet PC pen, it is $35, as opposed to the normally $50-$75 for pens that aren't as nice directly from Wacom. They do work with Wacom Tablet PC's, and will do so instantly.

EDIT: the Two point calibration sounds like a part of the Toshiba driver they are using, it makes no sense why it'd be 2 points. also the driver does not "kick in" at certian points in time, it is there and working all of the time, it simply adds more functionality than what the Windows 7 drivers provide alone. Pressure sensitivity is active all the time once the driver is installed, its just that most programs only read click or no click (navigating around Windows 7, web browsing, ect...) but some programs can read the pressure sensitivity (like Photoshop, Artrage, ect...)

5. kritzler

kritzler Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi scot, I also own a Bamboo Pen&Touch, a really old Graphire and an Intuos 1 (with 2 different pens) and none them works on my Asus R1E.

There is a new tablet pc driver on the wacom page for win 7! Why don´t you try this one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.