Where can I post an exchange I had with Wacom Support?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by michaelws, Apr 18, 2017.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just went through quite an ordeal with Wacom that turned out to be both enlightening and quite disappointing. I know that Wacom still does not have it's own category like Microsoft or Samsung or Hewlett Packard even though Wacom does now manufacture and sell a full on computer tablet and not just a drawing surface.

I believe that what I just went through with them over my Cintiq Companion 1 is important and if this happened to someone else I would want to know about it. This forum was a strong voice in getting Wacom to admit finally that the "connected - not charging" problem was not in how we, the customers handled our tablets but was the total purview of Wacom due to a weakness in the manufacture of that tablet. The voices that were given audience through this forum contributed in Wacom changing it's policy over that single issue.

However, now that the Companion 1 is old news I am afraid that what just transpired between myself and Wacom support will not gain much of an audience if it is buried in the Professions/Artist/Companion 1 thread. And because this issue is bigger than just dealing with the Companion 1 I need suggestions if it is appropriate to create a new thread somewhere where anyone interested in any Wacom product will be able to see what I want to share.

I have the entire transcript of emails back and forth between me and Wacom over what started out as simply my Companion 1 battery not charging to it's full capacity. Wacom graciously offered to fix the battery problem but when it was returned there was another problem that occurred after I had the unit shipped to them.

When I first booted up the Companion 1 after UPS dropped it off I noticed a long light leak across the upper right border next to the bezel. Also there were actual blotches of light leaks near the center of the screen. I immediately wrote to them about it and over the next couple of days struggled to show them the new problem that happened while the tablet was either in shipment or in the hands of Wacom.

The last email I got from them, just about an hour ago they finally said that the problem was sub-pixel defects and that my one year warranty did not cover it. They never even hinted that, while this problem happened during the time they were fixing it ( they opened the tablet and replaced the main printed circuit board ), this new problem was anything they might have liability for. I mean I have taken care of this tablet with kid gloves and the screen was perfect when I sent it off. And their final reply so far is basically, "too bad," and if you want we can send you a quote for how much a new LCD will cost.

I was so floored at their last email that I replied with these lines, "Strange that this sub-pixel problem would take place in the two weeks that the tablet was either in shipping or at Wacom. Of course I would like a quote. But I doubt that I could afford the replacement."

I was so upset that my hands were shaking and I could not write any more for fear that my anger would overwhelm me and I might take it out on my keyboard.

So, unless they write back after my brief final reply I know that I will never, could never, in good faith, recommend this company to anyone even though they currently make the best products in this category...but that their support is like trying to get an insurance company to pay up on something. I know I will never buy a Wacom product again...unless they admit the possibility that my new sub-pixel problem just might have been caused by their handling of my tablet when the Main PCB was replaced.

So that encapsulates or summarizes what the email transcripts show and i would like to be able to post it (fairly lengthy) so that others can see what I went through and be forewarned.

Thank you for any replies on this.

2. Hmac

Hmac Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to further talk with you about your issues with Wacom. Please send me a pm. I am compiling a list of people who have had issues with their tablets.

3. michaelws

Here is a letter I just sent to Wacom in reply to the service rep that wrote me this morning. First is the reps email:

<Dear Michael,
    Thanks for the follow up, and I agree. They might have been there for a while, just now starting to get darker or more noticeable.

I have placed two links below that might be able to help also. Please watch the youtube video first, and then use the below link. I would suggest letting it run over night. Let me know how that works for you. Thanks>

I will not post all of the emails before this one unless there are those who want to see the actual discourse. But here now is the letter I wrote (forgive some of the mis-spelling and grammar) in reply to this:

<Not sure just "what" it was in my last email that you agree with. Actually they are getting lighter, not darker. I will try your suggestions and I thank you for them.

Now let me be frankly honest with you. Maybe "brutally" honest with you. And this will be my last "long-winded" email to you or anyone else at Wacom if you decide you want nothing more to do with my account. I wouldn't blame you. You, personally seem like a nice person and my "beef" is with the company and I don't want to end up "shooting the messenger." Be that as it is I continue...

I was hoping, no, actually praying (and I am not religious), that you would concede that the possibility exists that the lcd on my screen was accidentally scratched or something when they took it apart and replaced the main pcb. I did not sleep well last night nor the night before...and the only thoughts going through my head were about the company you work for and represent. And they were not comforting thoughts.

I do not have a good history with Wacom's Customer support over my Cintiq Companion 1. I was one who experienced the "connected - not charging" problem early on. Wacom treated me as though it was due to my careless handling of the tablet. I ended up having to send two units back. The first one they made me pay the shipping and only reimbursed me after months of others complaining about the same problem. Finally Wacom gave a formal admission that that particular problem was a manufacturing defect and they extended the warranty to three years on that issue...as you brought up in your previous email to me. But it was the treatment I got in my many contacts with Wacom Support, both in emails and in phone calls that made me feel the company really did not care that much once the customer had purchased the product.

This latest issue has brought back those old feelings. Maybe you have instructions from your legal department never to even imply that a problem might be something that Wacom could be liable for. I know there are many bad people out there who love to make money over suing larger companies and hence larger companies are trying to protect themselves. I get that. But it has a blowback effect built in and that is what I am feeling. Resentment and apprehension.

Here's why;

Wacom makes the best products in this area. Hands down. Others are starting to compete but have quite a ways to go to be truly competitive. But to be treated with suspicion by customer support, which was exactly how I was treated over my "connected - not charging" issue...and to not be able to purchase a decent extended warranty (only one year for the Companion 1 in the USA) created a powerful feeling of having been pushed aside as a customer by a predatory company who feels they can do this because there is no alternative to their product. (Again I stress this is how I felt, not stating this was how Wacom felt). That poor attitude towards me by the support department hardened me against the quality of the product itself. I found myself silently cheering on any company that could dethrone Wacom or at least compete close enough to humble Wacom to where they might treat the customer with a bit more respect.

Why do I have such strong feelings over this issue? First I am hitting 69 this June. I have been a professional illustrator/artist/art director all of my life. Traditional work...on easels and drawing boards. I have been wanting to move into the digital art realm for many years recently. Because I am semi-retired and on social security that barely covers the basics I have to watch my finances closely. Too think that I have to depend upon a product which costs a minimum of $2000 ( and that was for just 8 gb of ram which is not enough really to do large higher res artwork) and that I can only have an assurance of coverage for one year if something goes wrong. I hope you can see where I am going with this.

And as I live on a little island in the middle of the pacific ocean I do not have many resources to turn to locally for technical support. So insurance policies and good customer support services to me are as important if not more important than the product itself.

That brings me back to full circle. I was "freaked" when I turned on the Cintiq Companion after getting it from UPS and where there was once a nice uniformly dark screen on boot-up there were now multiple light spots making the screen appear trashy. As much as I wanted to start working on the tablet doing art, I knew I HAD TO REPLY TO THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY, so that there would be no disputing the fact that it was something that happened during the time the tablet was sent to Wacom.

I took the best pictures I was capable of and which I felt at the very least did show that there were blemishes on the screen. What I got back was to try to do better. Take better pictures. I cannot tell you how many I took trying to get anything better than the first ones. Failing completely. Then after a number of email exchanges with you I am told that "repair" now knows what the problem is! Why could they not tell from the initial pictures I sent? And I know i was quite lengthy in converying how I suspected that something happened when my Companion was being "operated" on. When it was opened to replace the board. I made the car repair analogy...about sending it in for work on the engine only to have returned with bodywork damage but the company denying that anything was wrong or that they had any responsibility in it happening.

And then the email just before this last one? Where you said they knew what the problem was but that it was not covered by the one year policy? Michael, that one hurt. I did not feel that if something happened to the unit while in the hands of Wacom, or through their hopefully insured shipping contractor, that it would then be something that I would be liable for and have to pay for. Maybe it wasn't something that happened that is the fault of Wacom but the fact that you never even hinted that the possibility, of the possibility, that it might be due to some mishandling by someone doing the repair? Well that felt like exactly how I was treated by Wacom a couple of years ago. That I was the one who had to prove that I was NOT accountable for the problem. But your email only gave me one option, to find out what the cost would be to have the LCD replaced and to pay for it plus the shipping. Again it was hearing that Wacom could not be possibly held accountable for happened while the tablet was in their custody, both shipping and repair.

So when I got up this morning after my second sleepless night over this issue I was resolved that at my age maybe doing digital art would have to be set aside for something more affordable...one with fewer costly risks...or that miraculously another company put out a marvelously competitive product to the Cintiq line. But I knew that I would not every be putting this tablet on eBay to sell in order to upgrade to another newer more powerful Cintiq. I knew that I would just write to you and thank you for your timely replies on this issue but that Wacom had definitely lost me as a customer even though I felt Wacom could really care less about my not purchasing a Mobile Pro and one of their larger Cintiqs.

And then I saw that you had replied again. And seeing the words "I agree" I thought...maybe just maybe Wacom would at least give me some gesture that it might be something that happened on their dime. But it wasn't that. your further offers of what to try to help with the lcd problem did soften my stance somewhat and made me realize that you, Michael, are just a human being trying to do a good job for your company and to abide by their policies and guidelines. And that, as another human being, I owed you more than simply a "shoot the messenger" reply and taking out my frustrations with Wacom directly at you. That was not fair. Wacom is lucky to have you there. You have lightened my load just a teeny bit...enough to not write Wacom off altogether but not enough to have any faith that Wacom would give the customer the benefit of the doubt and if, for no other reason than good PR, offer at least to take a look at the tablet again at their own expense. That would have made a world of difference.

The gallery I work for, if a customer calls in a complaint about a print they bought, and if there is just the slightest probability that it had nothing to do with the customer's handling of it, then the gallery would go the extra mile and cover the expense of replacing the piece or fixing the damage if it was fixable. Because the gallery's policy and goal is to be able to boast that our largest group of customers are "repeat" customers. Ones who have dealt with us and have learned through our actions, to trust us.

So I thought I should write this explanatory letter in the hopes that Wacom wouldn't just throw it in a pile of other "negative feedback" emails but just might see the message I am trying to get across and maybe, just maybe, step back and take another look at how they handle customer support. If I could only serve as a small step toward saving a future customer of Wacom, and a future customer service rep working as you are, the headache and anger I am feeling and possibly causing you...then this letter would be worth the writing. And if not then at least I know I will sleep better tonight knowing that I took the time to try anyway.

Thank you Michael again for your time.

Sincerely,
    Michael Sheeler>

Not sure I will get any reply. But I will post it if I do. Again I am posting this because I know there are others, many on this forum, who have had very similar problems and frustrations with this company. And if for no other reason than in reading their experiences I found some strange comfort in knowing it wasn't just me. Must be that old saying..."Misery loves company."

Azzart likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I feel your pain. Even if my experience with them has been a lot less dramatic.
    And this is exactly why I prefer to have a machine that has a less good drawing technology than having anything to do with Wacom: it's just too frustrating.
    As much as I despise it, sometimes the only way to have wacom hear you out and solve a problem is to tell your side of the story publicly directly in its facebook page. They have a tendency to hate threats and bad advertising on their social media.

5. michaelws

Thanks Azzart. Posting here is a start. I still want to give them a chance. I told them I was going to be posting to this website forum. We'll see how this develops.

6. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Damn, i'm sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience with Wacom.
    Mine has been nowhere near as bad so far but like Azzart said as well, it's because of stories like yours and my own experience with Wacom's hardware in the past few years that i've decided to not purchase the MSP16 even though on paper it's exactly what i want.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your issue will be resolved.

7. michaelws

Well I got what I did not expect. I hope he read my entire letter. But here is the reply I got from the same Service Rep at Wacom:

< Dear Michael,

Thanks for the follow up. You had me at "brutal" - I told the repair manger that I'm setting up an RMA for your tablet to come and they will replace the LCD. End of story -

I'm setting that up know, with a UPS shipping label. Sorry for the frustration - please let me know if you have any questions.

Michael
    Customer Support Team
    WACOM >

So my fingers are crossed...and maybe we can get extended insurance policies on future Wacom Products. I really was done with Wacom when I woke up yesterday. And it was due to this particular service rep, Michael, that I will probably remain a Wacom customer and purchase another tablet or two before I leave the planet. Wacom is lucky to have this guy!

steven and Azzart like this.