Where can a US person buy an under-warranty R1F t7200?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Redon, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redon

Redon Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been reading all the threads and reviews on this site--thanks guys! And I think I'd like to get the R1F, but it seems the t7200 I want is only available in Australia and Europe. Does anyone know a reliable seller that I could buy this from?

2. Pentastic

Pentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

My understanding is that if they open up the case at all to swap the CPU, they void the global warranty from Asus, but a reseller may cover it under their own warranty. However, I think that it is possible to get the model you speak of from Europe or Australia and still be covered by Asus Global. Along those lines, however, I think that there would be still some difficulty getting service for the machine as the US office does not support the faster processor. As in, you might have to send it to Asus Global for service instead.

With that being said, I noticed that a Canada/US reseller, MilestonePC.com offers upgrades from the base NA version up to T7400. I believe they cover this under their own warranty, but I am not clear on the subject.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

milestonepc has a pretty good rep on this board. That said, I wouldn't mind hearing them clarify that T7400 upgrade capability. ;)

5. Redon

Redon Pen Pal - Newbie

Star-Tech does look good--I was thinking of buying from AUS to get the Asus warranty, but I guess a good reseller warranty would work as well. Has anyone used Star-Tech for service? Does MilestonePC offer a warranty and are they good with service?

6. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

um personally if the americans say that they can't support the faster processor (maybe that has more to dow ith them thinking that u have modified it in some way), u could probably just go above them and contact taiwan direct like i did.

The tech support guy in taiwan told me that once everything is ready he will order all the parts i need n i can just send mine in to the closest support centre to me.

either way if it's an unmodified system n theres nothing wong with the cpu, then come on. how dumb are these tech support guys? the motherboard will support all the cpus, the only differences is the cpu on the system.

also their 2year global warranty wouldn't ring true if when i was travelling in NA and had a problem that i couldn't take in my aussie version r1f n have it looked at.

if they really are that stupid up there, then just start causing a fuss and at the same time contact taiwan direct n complain.. u'll get it looked at then. :p

7. Pentastic

Pentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

I spoke with Asus regarding the warranty after upgrading the cpu. This does not void their global warranty. They will service all the original parts, but any part that is aftermarket will need to be covered by the end user.
    Star-tech will cover any parts they install, and offer 2-3 years of warranty as well. I've done business with them recently, and they've been great.

8. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a whole legal issue - they don't want to be responsible for anything that they themselves did not put into the computer. Perhaps being a bit cynical here, but from their standpoint, they could claim that other parts were damaged when the case was opened and the other CPU inserted into the machine.

However, it is good to know that they will still cover everything else under warranty that is not modified.

9. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is pretty interesting. Has anyone opened thei system to see if the CPU is socketed?

10. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

well i agree with them if the original parts are changed out, that asus can't be responsible for that. but what i was referring to was the higher spec aus version with the 2ghz cpu. asus makes that. it's not aftermarket, so the asus techs in NA shouldn't have a problem fixing the system. buy an aussie spec one n u'll have everything except 2gb ram (u'll have to buy 2x 1gb stick too since their using 2x512mbs) and u shouldn't have any issues with getting any asus techs to fix it or voiding ur warranty (except remember to replace the 512 ram sticks when u send it in.. so simple)