When will we see Surface Pro reviews?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by borna761, Jan 23, 2013.

1. borna761

borna761 Pen Pal - Newbie

Now that we know the release date of the Pro, when will we see the reviews? I'm assuming most reviewers already have one in their hands, but are obviously under NDA. The RT review came out 3 days before release - do we have to wait that long this time too?

2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Most reviews for products come out within a few days of the products release.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

3. Malberttoo

Malberttoo Pen Pal - Newbie

I think there were no review units for the Surface Pro, only the ones at CES. I have seen a couple journalists say they were waiting for the actual devices to get into their hands for extended testing, since all they'd be able to do with the CES units was a "first impression" and not an actual serious review based on some real-world use. I think the ones at CES were fairly limited as to how much time you could get with one.

Personally, I'd look for a review by someone who's been using the thing solid for a week or so. Would give you enough to go on initially, anyways.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If the RT model is anything to go by, it'll be the Wednesday before (February 6) in which the review embargoes are lifted. The RT reviews went up Tuesday the 23rd, and it went on sale Friday the 26th.

5. Malberttoo

I see, so there are actually review units out there then? I saw in one of Paul Thurrott's articles that he said he wouldn't be doing a review until he actually put his hands on one when they came out. So I assumed if HE wasn't getting a review unit, there must not be any. I hadn't considered an embargo though.

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

To me, the only reviews that matter are the ones written by my fellow forum members. The clowns from Cnet, The Verge and Engadget will, in all likelihood, try to compare the Surface Pro to the iPad, Kindle Fire and Galaxy Tab, then they will arrive at the misguided conclusion that the Surface Pro:

• has poor battery-life;
    • is too heavy;
    • is too thick.

A the same time, they will neglect (or should I say "elect not"?) to point out that the device:

• is a real computer;
    • runs a full-blown OS;
    • is full of IO ports;
    • is compatible with MS Office and a million of other programs.

Still waiting for reviews by tech sites...?

7. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I can confirm at least one reviewer received a Surface Pro three weeks ago, but reviews cannot be released yet.

8. Malberttoo

Well said!! So tired of the iPad comparisons, like comparing an Easy-Bake oven to a microwave....

9. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I believe there may be as many as 40+ units out in the wild, but perhaps not all in reviewer's hands...

10. Malberttoo

You definitely know more than you're letting on... ;)

11. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Amen to that brother.:thumbsup:

12. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In all fairness the clovertrail units satisfy BOTH lists and compare favorably with the iPad in every single category, you almost can't blame reviewers and the public at large for wanting to compare them. I've seen many reviews of clovertrail units with ambiguous reports of slowdowns, but I haven't seen any mention specifically of what slows them down, how badly, etc. For your everyday consumer, the majority of business users, and probably a good chunk of us hardcore users the clovertrail units are plenty of machine, and they don't bring up the caveats of weight, thickness, price or battery life. My point is that there is a full windows tablet that compares with the iPad, which causes the surface pro to generate confusion and these questions and concerns reviewers stick to.

13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

When the RT came out, the major complaint was lack of apps.

When the Clovertrail units came out, the major complaint was price (silence on apps and battery life).

When Surface Pro comes out, I predict the focus will be on price and battery life, ignoring the Windows eco-system, capability, etc.

14. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You are so right. I get so angry when I read the inane reviews, especially over at ZDNet and CNet - they get the vast majority of their reviewers from a Cracker Jack box...and if I see one more questioning reviewer asking why can't the baseline Surface Pro cost the same as the baseline iPad, I will throw a brick through my monitor!

15. jhoff80

Jeez, someone needs to just leak already what kind of digitizer it uses. :D ;)

16. jhoff80

Tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9PM is when the reviews will come out, apparently, according to Tom Warren's (The Verge) Twitter, and Paul Thurrott's site as well.

17. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Nice =) Although, I feel that I'll trust more what we have learned on these forums than will come out in the reviews. Maybe we'll understand the battery life better.

18. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

This. I trust the opinions from people on this forum way more than reviews from the verge, Engadget or Cnet.

Any review that doesn't immediately fire up adobe creative suite, I know to ignore ;)

19. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I have been given an early access to the Surface Pro reviews that will be posted online in the coming hours. After reading them carefully, it's clear that reviewers have put much thought and consideration into their pieces, which look remarkably fair and balanced! A great job, indeed! Here are a few notable excerpts:

20. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha it took me three reviews to realize they weren't real. :D