When should I buy?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kureshii, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Ownallogist

Ownallogist Pen Pal - Newbie

I am heading to college next year and I am dedicated to buying a tablet pc.

However, there remains a problem:

I have a tight budget, around $1,200, and want a convertible that will last me 4-5 years. I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished pc, such as a Fujitsu, but herein lies the main question - should I buy a decent pc now and store it until college or wait until next August to see my options? In other words, will there still be fairly priced tablets (next year) even with technological advancements?

If there's any confusion, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Ownallogist,

Technology improves over time, and as such, so do Tablets. Since you still have just over seven months until you head off to college, the Montevina platform and Penryn processors are set to debut early next year; Tablet PCs should be coming out with this new platform and processor sometime before or during June. There may be more competition from manufacturers that will introduce their first Tablet PCs, for instance, Dell is expected to launch their Tablet PC either before the end of the year (hopefully) or early next year. If your college/university has a deal with Dell, you could have a discount through them. I know that my university (University of Maryland) has a educational discount with both Dell and Apple only. Most of the current manufacturers offering Tablet PCs will most likely update their Tablet PCs model line-up before or during the summer. So, in short, it never hurts to wait until the summer to see what deals, or possible Tablet PCs to consider. :)

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find that prices never go down, but what you get for your money always increases.

Mobile Penryn is coming out in the first half of next year, so if you can wait, I'd save my money.

4. PhysicsMaestro

PhysicsMaestro Pen Pal - Newbie

Get it at the beginning of the summer rather than the end - you will want some time to get accustomed to your new device.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In short, buy at the last possible moment, leaving sufficient time to get comfy with your new life partner (just kidding!).

Unless, of course, you see a deal so great you just can't put it down. But Montevina should have started replacing Santa Rosa by July next year, and would definitely be worth the wait.

6. kelchm

kelchm Pen Pal - Newbie

I say you should buy with a couple months lead way. That way, should something go wrong, you have plenty of time to fix the problem.

I waited too long to buy my laptop for school and ended up stressing out for two weeks.

7. shademar

shademar Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been locked in a similar debate, and have come down to the following thoughts, for what it's worth...

There are incremental advancements (i.e. processor A: 1.5 Ghz vs 1.7 Ghz) which people who are trying to max out specs for performance reasons will care a lot about. Four years down the line, however, there won't be much of a difference between these systems (you'll be *horribly* behind the curve in both cases.) Depending on what type of thing you're running, you may or may not even notice an immediate difference.

On the other hand, there are discrete or substantial jumps forward in technology (changes in chip architecture, physical nature of hard drive, screen interface, ect.) which may go beyond maxing the specs of a given system.

As a non-intensive needs student, I'm not inclined to spend a premium to max out specs of a given technology. I'd be better off saving a few hundred now and being able to buy my next system a few months earlier.

But waiting a bit (or spending a bit more) in the case of the latter likewise seems pretty obvious as well. In this case, I'd recommend waiting a few months just to see what next gen tech might be waiting around the corner, but, barring a huge leap forward, buying something comfortably middle of the line a few months before your classes start.

(I just canceled an order because I realized I could afford to wait...)

8. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, if you want to know (for next-gen tech), Penryn has been released to manufacturers and Penryn laptops are likely to be on the market by Jan '08. The Montevina platform is slated for Q2 2008, so if you want a cheap Santa Rosa and can afford to wait, then would be a good time to buy it ;-)