When do you predict the Wacom Mobile Studio 2 will get released? 2018? early 2019?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by godofiron, Jul 27, 2017.

?

When do you predict the Wacom Mobile Studio 2 will get released?

1. 2018

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 2019

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. 2020

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Not in our lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

MSP is badly damaged between two separate accidents during my time being homeless, so yay, back in the market. :(

Any educated guesses on what the screen will be like? Think it could be super amoled? If they keep it IPS, what will be the sales pitch? Would it be 5k with better nits? I really hope it's not IPS...

If Samsung had been ready with an updated GB12, I would have immediately replaced it with that, but since both companies are due for an update, I'm stuck with pencil and paper for now...

I still maintain it will use the same official stand -- it will have the same slots in the back as the current MSPs. We'll at least catch a "break" with that.

2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I would be so happy if you were right about October, but the only unit I see with a price cut is the 256gb MSP16. I'd feel better about some impending hustle on their part if it was a blanket discount for all units.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I really thought it would be this year but the troubles they have had with the Cintiq line killed it I think. Add to it, there really ins't anything close to this kind of quality is an all-in-one. Earlier this year you had Acer, HP and Samsung with promising devices. None really got it right, not close enough to even make Wacom pay attention anyway.

I think the iPad is their biggest competition now but IOS does not run fill windows apps.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP got the closest with the ZBook x2, if my MSP died, that the ZBook would still get my attention.

To your second point though.....that’s no longer the case. the IOS build of a Clip Studio Paint is pretty much an exact port of the desktop build with no comprises. And it’s not out yet, but Adobe has already declared they are going to bring full on Photoshop to the iPad. Not express or a limited app....but the full complete program.

All that being said.....it’s September, NYCC is in one month....2 years ago....Wacom unveiled the MSP right before ComicCon and had floor models ready (but rushed) for ComicCon.......if Wacom has any plans to unveil a MSP2........it would probably be really soon at this point. It would almost have to be given the age of MSP at this point.....it’s at the point from a tech spec standpoint where it’s almost laughable they would still try and sell it.

5. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem with the HP was cost. For that price I am still going back to Wacom. Especially because you dont know how long HP will support it. Drives me crazy, they got the closest but that price is otherworldly. I knew about Clip Studio but I am not paying the sub on it. Photoshop as well, a lot of pro's are using Procreate, some might switch but not for a monthly cost.

I wouldn't even mind paying for clip studio upgrades but $72 a year is not happening. I am still holding out hope that they move to a flat price. I am really leaning on getting an ipad now. I love the idea of a portable sketch book. That is unless Wacom suprises me.

6. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

They can't even get 24" Cintiq Pro etc properly out and you are talking about Mobile Studio....lol

YVerloc likes this.
  7. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Ask people who bought the Wacom Companion Hybrid how long Wacom supports their products vs Dell xD. I'm still feeling burned by them after that and looking at alternatives where I can.

I've been dying for an android version of Clip (The Samsung S3 is the best freaking sketchbook ever, ever since I got the staedler pencil I do more finished work on it than my PC ) but honestly at the monthly rate they charge I'd likely still keep doing work in Medibang and export to PSDs to finish stuff up in Clip on the PC. Medibang has to be the oddest app ever though in that I love the mobile version but the PC one is disturbingly bad.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ditto for me.....as much as I would love to continue using the iOS rendition of Clip Studio.....$10 a month is just too much.....especially when I paid $29 for the full windows version to keep. But if they had it on Android I might actually consider plunking down $10 a month......lack of a hovering cursor and the closed file system of iOS hinder it so much....but on Android that wouldn't be an issue.

As far as Medibang....I have a similar experience.....love the iOS/Android builds....but the desktop rendition just isn't that same. Part of that I think is because the interface is just so different depending on the platform you use it on. In windows it just easier to switch over to CSP then to even bother figuring out where certain features are hidden in desktop Medibang.

9. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I'm concerned, Medibang desktop is only there to open cloud saves and export them as PSDs without having to do any file transfers. Cloud save between the two has been great for my work flow. I finish up on my S3, cloud save, open on PC, export as PSD and finish up in PS or Clip, whichever is needed. No cables, no waiting for one drive to sync.

10. Alayna

Alayna Pen Pal - Newbie

I got sick of waiting for a new MSP and bought an HP Zbook X2 this week, fully expecting to hate it and having to return it.
    However, I love this machine. I do digital painting in Photoshop and I didn't think HP could possibly make a machine that could match Wacom in terms of color depth and stroke detection. The ZBook X2 is great. The screen is gorgeous and it works well for my needs. The *only* thing that is really an issue is the stylus only has 1 button- not the 2 that Wacom styluses usually have. It's really messed with my workflow but I'm adapting. It was crazy expensive- $4k (it was originally $5k but I ordered over the phone and they had a 20% off coupon) but I haven't upgraded in 5 years and this is my livelihood. So while I hate that I spent so much, it's worth it. The pen interface isn't as perfect as Wacom, it is a teeny, tiny bit buggy (at the edges, like the start bar), but it hasn't impacted my work at all.

I love Wacom, my HS graduation gift was an Intuos 2 (this was 2003, eek)- and I've used Wacom ever since. I have been using the Cintiq Companion 1 since it launched, I tried the MSP but I went through 3 of them and returned them all because of severe hardware issues. I love Wacom, but their hardware is so unreliable. At least HP is a company that specializes in hardware, so if something dies you know they'll either fix it for free or hopefully for a reasonable amount- unlike Wacom.

It's weird working on a non-Wacom, but this machine is great.

DaniJoy and darkmagistric like this.