When do you change the pen tip?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by hoochimagoo, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

When I got me 4215 it came with a pen tips. I was wondering when you chage the tip and what the signs are that you need to change the tip.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The tips will last a very long time.... probably longer than you will own the Tablet.

The only time you may need to change the tip if it shows signs of wear on one side.

3. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

I found myself replacing the nib within a month. It was when I heard scraping noises while writing. The nib I'm currently on is now also making scraping noises. Maybe the nib quality isn't good? Maybe I'm too pedantic (if that is the right word)?

What I'd like to know is, are there better quality nibs out there than the stock standard ones.

4. P8RSON

Yes there are and I would recommend you use the 'felt nibs'.

You can find them at the Wacom accessories store.
    Here's the Pen kit for Intuos. The felt nibs are the black ones.
    These can also be purchased individually here I believe.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. thundermax

thundermax Pen Pal - Newbie

my oldest wacom pen was purchased in 1995 and I've only replaced the tip once because I nervously chewed it. I used it every day for 3 years and occasional use since. My other tablet has been used every day for almost 9 years and tip has never been replaced.

i may try those felt nibs for my TPC

6. bevhoward

bevhoward Pen Pal - Newbie

Coming from seven years of pocket pc experience, one of the best things you can do to avoid screen damage is to watch yourself and use the absolute minimum pressure to write or do what you need onscreen.

If you are in the habit of using a lot of pressure when writing on paper, that will transition to the stylus and the screen life will be significantly shortened

The (dreaded) scraping noise means that something foreign is embedded in the tip, and the first time you hear it, if you look with a magnifier where you were when it occurred, you will likely see a scratch line.

With the Wacom proximity design, you don't have to actually touch the screen except to tap, so, for mouse moves, skimming just above the screen rather than sliding should make a big difference in screen life.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

7. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Are these tips compatible with the T 4215 pen? My 'nib' developed the scratching effect after a weak and there's now all sorts of scratches on my screen (hopefully they're just on the screen protector). I really only notice the scratches when the screen is off and they're reflected against the black background but they do look ugly.

Considering the way I use the T 4215 (outside often), I can't see how these plastic 'nibs' won't catch a piece of dust and scratch the screen again, so would the felt nibs or any other last longer then the plastic ones?

As much as I love the T 4215, it's going to cost a lot more to maintain then 'normal' notebooks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would suppose you replace them when they wear out or when there is some other need to... but those tips sure are tough little buggers, yeah I think they'll probably outlast my tablet. I still change them once a year out of paranoia though. I doubt the tips will run out before I change tablets...

Does the stock protector scratch easily? I put a self-made protector over it the first day I got it so I don't know about that... but the amount of writing I do at school means within 6 months the protector gets scratched pretty badly. Not suprrising, since I use cheap overhead projector transparencies cut down to size for that purpose, heh... I just change them twice a year. Totally worth the time spent for the money they save: 2USD will last me 5 years.

9. P8RSON

Yes, they are compatible with the T4215.... I use them on the T4210 and there is absolutely no difference whatsoever in the Pen design between the two models.

As to lasting longer, I've been using one now for over a year and it's still not showing any sign of wear.

10. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Sweet thanks for that. Now to find some place in Australia that sells them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.