Whats your work at home set up like?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by darkmagistric, Apr 2, 2020.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I see you flexing one of the last cans of lysol on the planet! Should have put a couple rolls of TP in there for extra points!

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

my desk is IKEA too. I hope you at least got meatballs on the way out.

Lilawyn and Bronsky like this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If I need any heavy lifting that my Surface can't handle I have a VM in Azure, I need a few times a month mostly for some DevOps deployment.

I mostly just use my Surface Pro X screen for most of my day, but there are times when I'm building content or doing research I need another screen and prior to Sheltering in place, I might need to work from a customer location or one of our global offices usually stuck in a Conference Room, so I wanted a portable setup that could easily travel. My whole setup weighs less than most laptops, 1.7 for Surface and 2 pounds for the 15.6" Screen, they use the same charger so all is good.

I bought one of Amazon, random Chinese Company. No battery or kickstand but has the same trick as the ASUS one that can use a ballpoint pen to prop it up, it also came with a leather portfolio that acts as a stand. It is also USB-C and if I plug in the monitor it also charges the device.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Upg...3499&s=pc&sprefix=4K+por,computers,244&sr=1-3

Is the closest to the one I bought last August, I also have the older Uperfect 3K version from a couple of years ago that my son's girlfriend is using for school.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

interesting.....and the Pro X has no problem powering that monitor? How much of a battery drain does it add? With my Zbook.....at full brightness my usual battery life is 3-ish hours...when I use the Asus Monitor to charge from the Zbook instead of using its battery....it knocks the Zbooks battery life down to 2-ish hours.
    but I've also been contemplating getting a new USB-C monitor.....the Asus one although nice.....has some build quality issues that concern me......the corners of the bezel's have started cracking....and the bottom bezel which I'm assuming houses the battery has always felt flimsy.....and don't even get me started on the magnetic sleeve/stand....very cheaply done.....also I had a problem twice where if I leave the monitor and zbook alone....and it goes to sleep....sometimes its bricks the Asus Monitor....the screens is on but blank and it won't turn off or display the desktop and the two buttons on it become unresponsive....literally had to detach it and let the battery run its course for it to turn off .....so far in 5 months that only happened twice so its not too big of an issue, but if it starts to happen more frequently.....bye bye Asus.

Frankly I'm surprised there are so few official USB-Monitors.....I mean there is no shortage of options on Kickstarter and Amazon from the 3rd party vendors.....but there are always concessions. Like HD with Touch, or 4K with no Touch......no included battery, or no kickstand. And then you get the real head scratchers like the Wacom One....given it uses the same digitizer as the Zbook....that would make a perfect secondary display for Zbook users.....but no multitouch, limited angles, no battery, and not even the simplicity of a USB-C to USB-C connection. Even with my Asus....the limited 2 placings on the cover Sleeve is super annoying compared to the Zbook or a Surface Pro where you can go to pretty much any angle you want.

One thing I wish Microsoft would do....make a Surface USB-C Monitor....they could literally use the Surface Pro form factor, chasis ....same res, pen, touch, kickstand, and battery......and USB-C to USB-C........I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Amen! I wish they had made a cheap USB-C Surface Monitor when "Continuum" and Windows Phone were still a thing.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I don't power the monitor from the Pro X, I do the opposite...I plug in the monitor's 65W USB C PD wall-wart and power the Pro X from it. I use a single screen when I'm actually away from mains.

I would love to see a Surface Monitor with Kickstand and Digitizer. But I would also like a Studio Dock with the 43" Studio Monitor...

7. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Damn that's one good looking bookshelf.
    Colour and Light and The Animators Survival Kit are pretty much fundamental.
    And I'm envious of all the Ghibli books.
    Any recommendations?

You have a very clean setup too, mine's... Not so tidy. If I remember, I'll take a photo, but I have too much confidential crap laying around at the moment.

stoneseeker, darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...One thing I wish Microsoft would do....make a Surface USB-C Monitor...>>

Amen amen...!

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks! Since we moved I haven't even had a chance to unpack most of my books, that's about roughly 1/3 of my collection! My recommendations are probably quite relative depending on where your interests lie, (ie. "elemental magic" by Joseph Gilland is amazing if you like traditional FX animation) but I can certainly list my favorite books in my collection, though some may be out of print and very difficult to acquire now:

"Art of Journey" -the jewel of my collection, scored it when they did their only second print run! Every art book should try to be this good. Might be impossible to find sadly unless your willing to shell out $1000!
    "Art of Dofus: the movie" -Absolutely one of the most beautiful traditional 2D animated modern films, and the art book might be the most dense of all the art of books here.
    "Art of Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse" -Alberto Mielgo's concepts are some of the best in the industry, its mind boggling good stuff.
    "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Watercolor Impressions" -Its an entire book of Miyazaki's watercolors, nuff said.
    "Art of Over the Garden Wall" -such a great mini series.
    "The Walt Disney Film Archives. The Animated Movies 1921–1968" -this expensive beast of an archival book is expensive but worth it if you like classic Disney. The sketches and rough concepts it shows from Fantasia are worth it alone.

For instructional books, the 2 you mentioned are the best by a land slide IMO, though there are so many good niche study books out there now too, depending on your specific artistic direction, I've had good experience with 3D total publishing stuff.

Marty likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

WFH full-time now so all work devices come home:

wfh.jpg

Bronsky and darkmagistric like this.