What's your opinion on T5010 & left palm rest heat??

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by seren01, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seren01

seren01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am really in need of a tablet PC for school. BUT I cannot decide what to get!! I really wanted a T2010, but the 1.2GHz CPU scares me. I worry it will be useless to power anything too soon down the road (and that the fan is loud? Does anyone agree?). And can anyone comment on Photoshop usage?

The m700 really interested me, until I read about the screen air bubbles and touch screen/hibernation issues...which scares me more

So... the T5010 looks absolutely all that I need, EXCEPT I hear of this weird heat issue on the left hand side where your hand rests...that it can even make your hand sweaty?! I find this hard to understand, why would they direct heat towards the users hands...AND I have also read mention of the T5010 stuttering, possibly an overheating issue?

As well, has anyone gotten the secondary landscape mode to work for the T5010? I read somewhere that it was locked out.

Thanks for ur input, much appreciated! :)

2. ardrysda

ardrysda Pen Pal - Newbie

The processor is located under the ctrl, shift, and function keys, the heat under the left palm rest is due to its proximity. With the P8400 processor, I haven't found the heat to be uncomfortable. Noticeable, yes; uncomfortable, no.

I also haven't had any stuttering or freezing with my T5010, even during running a dvd while stress testing my cpu with orthos. I wonder if the problem is possibly related to the increased thermal envelope of some of the optional t-series processors. In any case, if it occurs for a user, it is pretty unacceptable.

And finally, I have not found a way to enable the secondary landscape screen mode (although I have really only poked around in settings).

rob

PS- I have been very happy with my purchase.

3. seren01

seren01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your input Rob . It helps me out a lot to hear that. :)

I really want the T5010. Sux about the landscape mode. I hope I could figure it out. Otherwise, how do u write with your right hand & use buttons on the right side =/

I am going to figure out what the warranty is like for Fujitsu. If I get a laptop that is burning my hand, or stuttering, I would hope I could get it replaced...
    Maybe I need to spend that extra money for extended warranty, bleh

4. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the 1.2ghz processor and rarely break 400mhz except to play games (Warcraft 3 mostly). The fan is moderately loud if you are plugged in, but is silent if you are unplugged and inking or taking notes or browsing the web etc. Given the option of a free upgrade to a 2.8ghz core 2, I would decline. I love the battery life the ULV gives and do not notice the slower chip. I use photoshop a little and it feels fine. Note that I do have 4gb RAM x86.

5. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

I'd like to point out that if you customize a system from Fujitsu you cannot return it.

My T5010 does not get very hot (Though it spits out a lot of heat when I ran the World of Warcraft trial - But it is not ANYWHERE as close to as hot as the C142XL I had from Gateway). I also have a Intel C2D T9400 2.53 GhZ.

I havent been able to unlock the Secondary landscape mode. I do believe strongly that it is the Intel GMA driver to blame, the settings program for the GMA in control panel does not even show a secondary landscape.

I never notice the fan running, it is VERY VERY quiet. Even while running WoW it was running pretty fast but hardly made much of a noise.

I frequently run Photoshop and Illustrator and Dreamweaver. All at once. My system handles it like a champ, and its still got processor power to spare apparently. It goes fast.

6. seren01

seren01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys. Thanks for input, it is really helping me decide. (After months of reading forums & reviews!)

dmlerner: It is good to hear about the fan being quieter when on battery mode. That will be how I use it most. I am impressed that you are so happy with it. Plus the battery life & weight is heavenly. Geez, it sure makes this decision hard! But it really doesnt help that there is not a single place where I live to try out Fujitsu in person....:confused:
    May I ask what Photoshop you use? I have CS3 on my desktop, and would possibly only want to use photoshop & illustrator for drawing and photo-editing

Grimnir: What do you mean about return? Like, if I choose a pre-configured model on the website I can return it? OR if something goes wrong with a custom order I cannot return it? :eek: I am very glad to hear that your hot-spot isn't that bad. I can handle a little heat sure... but some people mentioned sweat! Now that would be ridiculous @_@ Hmm I would kinda like to play Warhammer on mine lol... if I am not hurting it... I am afraid of overheating and wearing on it too much. You play WoW with the touch pen?? That would be too cool I think. (I have some muscular health condition, and I get really stiff & painful in my arms/shoulders/wrists/neck. So any time spent clicking my mouse too much really kills me. A pen would be so nice!) I do use Dreamweaver/Illustrator/Photoshop a lot as well, so this is good to hear that it handles them so well. Wow, I think I should dive in and get me a T5010! How many GB RAM do you have?

I am, of course, concerned/worried about the return, dead pixel, manufactured damage/malfunction, accidents, shipping damages?, screen defects, etc policies. I think it would be a good idea to get an extended type warranty?... assuming it actually benefits me in those emergency situations at a reasonable time & method...