Whats up with 7" Windows tablets? missing the boat.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alchemist, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

I've noticed that it doesn't look like many/any PC makers are releasing new 7" windows tablets, and its getting harder to find the few low end ones that are left for sale. Doing Searches I've found articles about there not being any windows tablets in 7" form factors, etc.

I've had a 7" HP Stream 7 for about a year now and while not as beefy spec wise as I would like it fits a long missing need... the 'coat pocket' or 'back pocket' computer. Back in the day this was filled by the HP 200LX DOS machine ready for instant number crunching with Lotus 1-2-3, etc. and then filled not nearly as well by smart phones... but the 7" windows tablet works great in that role... I work in IT and use my phone as a hotspot so that little 7" goes places an 8" just doesn't fit but still lets me manage servers remotely or anything else I need to do with a PC.

Ideally I'd love to see a 7" with 2gb memory, 64bit windows to ease VPN software availability and a mini HDMI. A second USB port would make it pretty much perfect.

But... it doesn't look like even HP is following up the Stream 7 with a Windows 10, cherry trail upgrade. Everything looks 8" and larger... seriously a 10" can go anywhere an 8" can go... neither fits in a coat pocket... So if i have to carry a separate device instead of just pocket it... I'll carry a 10" as its more functional.

I think PC makers are really missing something here.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My 5.7" Galaxy Note does most of what I did on my Asus Note 8. Plus make calls. Fits in a back pocket.

3. Alchemist

It all depends on your usage...

For someone using the phones apps for facebook, email, instagram and the like with the occasional use of the browser to hit a site without an app phones work great. Phablets like the Note take it further as the hardware is a usable size for real web browsing but the OS still limits its functionality. A 'note' form factor with stylus, an Atom cherry trail and Windows 10 would be fantastic... unfortunately it doesn't exist.

Tablets go a step further, there is a remote desktop client for iPad for around $30... used that solution a few years ago and it worked ok although slow and bulky compared to my Stream 7 today.

I manage Unix and Windows servers and no phone OS has SSH and Remote Desktop Connection let along one that works reliability. I also manage SQL servers and at times need to query the data remotely. No SQL clients for those phone OSs either. I may also need to manage documents in our online CMS which just doesn't play well in phone browsers.

While what individuals may need its safe to say there are A LOT of things a full windows machine can do that a phone or android/ios/windowRT phone/tablet just can't do. That makes the 7" windows tablet unique as its the only full desktop OS available today in a pocketable form factor.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I agre in part. For your use a small tablet makes sense. But, since Microsoft has added its office applications to Android, it is a real game changer for non-windows devices. I have also been able to find an acceptable PDF annotator, something that I could not find last time I owned an Android phone. The added functionality has changed the landscape for those of us who don't have the same demands you do. But, in all, I do think the large display phones are making it harder for small tablet makers.

5. Alchemist

Yea I was just thinking about the Android Office availability when looking at recommendations for someone... it definitely makes android more useful. I can see where 7" full windows tablets wouldn't sell as well at the consumer level especially than the 8" and above. It reminds me of the ole days with my 200lx when I bought 2-3 extras to put in the closet for backup. lol.

hiramkey and Bronsky like this.
  6. catmandu

catmandu Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you looked at the Winbooks sold by Microcenter? Winbook is Microcenter's house brand, and only available in the B & M stores. Currently they have 7", 8", and 10" models running Win8.1 with Bing, and all include a full size USB port (2.0 or 3.0) and micro-HDMI port in addition to the usual microUSB for charging. The 7" TW700 only comes with 1GB of RAM and a 16GB drive, so it is definitely underpowered, but you can put in a microSD that mostly makes up for the 16GB drive (but unhappily not the 1GB RAM.) It's currently quite "expensive" at $79.99, but has been available for as little as half that (i.e. Black Friday 2014.)

It's a decent little device - truly a Windows computer that fits in your pocket, and I often carry it with me just for the heck of it since it is so compact. There were several batches sold earlier this year that all had bad batteries (I unhappily ended up with one, and it's getting swapped out under warranty) but other than the battery life it's sturdy and reliable (if you don't push that 1GB of RAM!) Around the house I use its big brother the TW801 more (2GB RAM, 32GB drive, USB 3.0) now that my Asus Vivotab Note 8 (which I absolutely loved, on the rare occasions it worked) has given up the ghost after 4 major RMAs and a replacement that was even worse than the original. (Now if that machine only had the ports, and reliability of the Winbooks. . . )

I've had no issues running USB peripherals off either Winbook (printers, flash drives, full-sized external drives, hubs, etc.) but usually just keep a a tiny Logitech unifying receiver in the USB port of both so I can use a full-size keyboard and mouse whenever needed, and I've projected huge PowerPoints from both using a micro-HDMI to VGA adapter with no problems.
    Note that both of my WInbooks only have single-band WiFi so if you need to connect to 5 GHz networks . . .

HeavyHanded likes this.
  7. zamadatix

zamadatix Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows 10 requires mobile on <8 inch tablets which was a shift from 8/8.1. I'm on the hunt for a powerful 7/8 inch (preferably 7) tablet as well. I want 4g, >100GB built in storage, wireless AC, >= 4GB RAM, >=1080p. The only thing I have found is one option of the HP 608 http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA5-8520EEAP at 8 inches. I'd love to find a Windows tablet at 7/8 inches with all of these features but the z8700 rather than the z8500 but I can only find Android tablets or 10 inch tablets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.