Whats the RAM Setup on the 4220?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Nick119, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobayashi

kobayashi Pen Pal - Newbie

Get one with the good screen, not the low-res one. Trust me.

For RAM, I like Geil and Crucial.

2. Nick T.

Nick T. wannabe

Which do you consider to be the "good screen."

In place of trusting you on this decision, how about offering your rationale.

Thanks,
    -Nick

3. kobayashi

If you read my post, you'd know the answer already. The low-res screen is exactly that, low resolution. The high-resolution screen is amazing looking. Fujitsu is one of the only companies to offer a tablet with an SXGA+ screen. Getting a T4220 with the low-res screen is a waste. It's like getting a Ferrari with a Ford engine. If you want to go cheap, just get a piece of junk Lenovo. If you want the best, get the T4220 SXGA+.

I'm one of the few people who's had the T4220 SXGA+ and can attest to the quality.

4. Nick T.

Nick T. wannabe

I read your previous post.
    I have read this post.
    I previously knew that low-res is low-res and that hi-res is hi-res.
    I still do not know your reasoning in preferring the hi-res screen.
    I must be pretty dumb.

5. bluemonq

bluemonq Pen Pal - Newbie

If:
    (1) you know that low-res is low-res and hi-res is hi-res
    (2) one is offered the choice between the two resolutions in the same physical space
    (3) your eyesight is sufficiently sharp to not mind the smaller fonts that come with a higher-res screen
    (4) and all other things being equal

Then it comes about as a result that:
    (1) Assuming that text and pictures take up the same number of pixels as before, you can fit more information on the screen at once
    (2) Pictures generally look sharper (unless they were of the same or lower resolution than the low-res screen)
    (3) In the case of text, if you were to scale it up to the same size (relative to the physical size of the display), fonts would look smoother.

These factors are generally why people prefer a hi-res screen. Certain people find them obvious. Others don't. Whether you think people in the second category is "dumb" is strictly up to you.

6. Nick T.

Nick T. wannabe

Thanks bluemonq. I didn’t realize that it was generally assumed that being either hi-res or lo-res automatically made one screen superior to the other.

Then it comes about as a result that:
    (4)As more and more information is squeezed into a constant space there is always a loss of detail.
    (5)In my opinion there are several other factors to consider, besides resolution, in rating one screen against another.

I was speculating that “I must be pretty dumb.” No categorizing nor judging of other people was intended. Sorry if I offended you.

7. bluemonq

bluemonq Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, (5) is always true. (4), on the other hand, while true, doesn't apply here, since even though the physical space is the same, there are more pixels (each smaller), so the representative space is larger. As for the "dumb", "people" in that case was referring to you :p

8. kobayashi

Um, no. You still aren't grasping the concept of pixel density. Something 4x4 pixels stays that size REGARDLESS of how large or small those pixels are. Screen resolution can be thought of as pixel size for a given screen size.

Low-res = cheaper, large pixels, poor graphic quality, low amount of information on screen
    High-res = more expensive, greater graphic quality, high amount of information on screen

9. dbasham

dbasham Pen Pal - Newbie

Add Corsair Value Select to the T4220 compatibility list. Specifically I am using the 4GB PC2-3000 DDR2 / DIMM Dual Channel Kit (2X2GB) / PN - VS4GSDSKIT667D2 G / CORSAIR. You can get this RAM from Frys for $59.99 with the $10 mail in rebate (currently sold out) or at NewEgg for $71.99 (in stock). I have been using this RAM in my T4220 since the day I got it 2 months ago.
    --Denny

10. Nick T.

Nick T. wannabe

You may want to take a closer look at this RAM; it is PC2-3000. If I'm not mistaken the T4220 may be happier with faster memory; either PC2-5300 or PC2-6400.

I'd suggest either of the following, depending on which CPU is in your T4220:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...5888FDA5CA7304
    and faster:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...38F3A7A5CA7304

It would be interesting to see benchmarks comparing less expensive PC2-3000 memory to the more expensive PC2-6400 memory.