What's the metal ring that comes with the Pen?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by student, Nov 23, 2007.

1. x60t

x60t Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my x61t. Still doing the installation stuff. No problem so far. Not even the bezel problem. Love it.

It's nice that the pen comes with 5 spare red tips. But I wonder what the metal ring is about which is packed together with the pen and spare tips.. :confused:

2. snakebite2

snakebite2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it's use for changing the nib/tip.

3. yggdrasil

yggdrasil Scribbler - Standard Member

It's your membership ring to the X61 Owner's Club - wear it proudly!

4. x60t

x60t Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh yeah. Now I can see it's a clip for removing the tip out of the pen.. :rolleyes:

5. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Give your new X61T a chance man! You can't have every Lenovo bonus straight out of the box! Maybe in a few weeks if you got an SXGA+ screen it will develop the lovely cracking sound that characterises bezel seperation every time you flip open the lid. Another few weeks after that, if you are lucky enough, you may even get some wildlife colonising your X61T. In this forum we have had reports of insects in the screen. I had a hedgehog once, but it since left grumbling about a buzzing sound disturbing its hibernation. The very, very lucky also get a beautiful weathered pattina on their screen surrounds as the plastic starts to crumble.

6. Scriptable

Scriptable Pen Pal - Newbie

How fast does that nib wear down?? I've been using the pen for months and it hasn't noticeably shortened. And I received a bag containing several of them with my x61t.

:confused:

7. yggdrasil

yggdrasil Scribbler - Standard Member

It doesn't wear down but it could become damaged if you drop the pen on concrete or another hard surface. A damaged nib could scratch the X61's screen.

If you want to experiment with different pen feels you should try Wacom's felt tip nibs. They are a pleasure to write with, giving a less slippery feel and eliminating the tapping noise caused by the hard plastic nib. The only disadvantage is they wear down relatively quickly, so depending on how hard you write they might only last 2-4 weeks per nib.

8. Scriptable

Scriptable Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a great tip, thanks! I never even realized you could get alternate nibs with a different feel.

9. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

The nibs do wear down. With a Wacom tablet, I had to replace the nibs every 12 months or so with almost constant daily office use. I imagine Tablet pc nibs will last similiarly long.