What's the best stylus for the HP Chromebook x360?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by fountainpens, Dec 31, 2018.

1. fountainpens

fountainpens Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all -

I've been stumbling around the internet looking for answers and I think I found somewhere to ask my questions - some go a little off track from the OP's purpose, so please forgive me.

I was gifted a refurbished hp chromebook x360 - the school model from a little while ago.
    What do you think is the best pen that is compatible with it?

A little background:
    I'm recently back in school after a decade and a half break. I've been lugging my gaming rig back and forth when a computer was absolutely necessary for class. My well-intentioned girlfriend's sister hooked me up with this chromebook without looking at any reviews apparently, but I'm digging it and it will be great for class.

No computers in the classroom for my first go around so the note taking style I developed is pretty visual and all over the page sometimes and while I can type pretty well, it seems the handwriting is faster and feel more comfortable.

I'm taking a whole lot of notes and in a perfect world would be able to have the actual copies and be able to convert the just words parts to searchable text.

Back to my questions -

I see the pen that was supposed to come with this is around 30 bucks and takes some flak for being flimsy feeling, so I'd like to make sure there isn't anything else I could be using that is better. I'm willing to spend more money for a better experience.

Does anyone here do any long note taking sessions?

And regarding what I actually want to use the pen for, could anyone make a reccomendation or let me know if there is a better way to go about it? I know there are standalone devices made for note-taking purposes (which I'm not opposed to) but I'd really like to be able to just operate off of the CB.

I know this is off topic, but I'm new and in need, please be gentle, ha.

Thanks in advance, I'm happy I found this forum in general -

Happy New Year's

josh

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Hey Josh!
    Welcome to the forums
    Happy New Year to you & yours!

Is your Chromebook the 11" or 14"?

From cursory searches the 11" uses Penabled Wacom EMR. So any S-pen should work as well as other OEM Penabled Wacom EMR pens. Wacom Pro pens will not work.

The list below can serve as a starting guide.

Fujitsu
    Toshiba Z10T (TruPen EMR)
    Toshiba Z20T
    Lenovo
    HP Zbook X2 Pen
    Samsung S-Pen
    Samsung Tab S4 S-Pen
    Staedtler
    Staedtler for Chromebooks (unreleased) <-- Might be your best bet
    Dell Canvas Pen
    Dell EMR Pen w/ eraser

Wacom used to sell the Wacom Bamboo Feel pens/Wacom Stylus Feel Carbon(CS-300/400) but they have discontinued them and they are hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you do, some selling for as much as $250 which is just ridiculous.

EDIT:
    with further reading, i'm not sure the concerns about the pen feeling flimsy are well founded. It looks like a standard penabled pen from Tablet PC's of yester-year with eraser intact.

One of the favourite pens around here is the HP Zbook x2 Pen and it's a much more expensive pen in comparison.

The stock pen, won't be heavy like a Surface Pen, but that in itself doesn't make it a bad pen. The review I found referred to it as feeling like a normal sized bic pen. I think the pens in the Samsung Chromebooks are the one's that are toothpick/flimsy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. fountainpens

fountainpens Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey!

Thank you so much for putting that all together (and being cool about moving it somewhere more appropriate and everything), I'll be checking them all out. I really appreciate it.

I've got the 11 inch. I'm pretty tech savvy but just getting tossed into the chromebook thing without doing any research beforehand has got my head spinning a bit. So many angles to work at. We were given 2 of them and it took me a minute to figure out that one runs android apps from the play store and one doesn't, ha so there's an example of how ignorant of the situation I was. Learning a new interface and trying to reconcile what I want it to do with what it actually does needs a little focus.

I'm also trying to be content with the tech I now have and not be jealous of everything I'm seeing that's out currently :)

250 is a little much, but if I can figure out the software to accomplish what I want, I'll be using it quite a bit so I'd like to get something that feels good in the hand. I restore vintage fountain pens and am a little too excited about a new world of pens.

While I've got you here, did I explain what I'd like to do with it well enough? I'll find the appropriate place to post if this is a larger question than I'm realizing...

I'd like to find a nice hybrid form of note-taking -
    My note taking style is kind of visual and all over the page.
    I'd like to be able to take notes they way I already do and digitize them. Seems to be programs like Squid, where I can do some precise writing and get more than a grocery list's amount of information on the page while writing on the screen.

My end goal would be to be able to search them - whether there is some program that will make possible or will convert the text portions of my notes into searchable text and then I can use something else to do the searching.

Am I barking up the wrong tree to be able to do this with what I've got?

I know there are standalone devices to take notes one, but again that's another realm where I'm pretty ignorant.

Thanks again so much for the help - I hope you had a great new year's eve and day, and I'm off to re-start my search for solutions!

josh

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

No worries!

I actually think Onenote sounds perfect for what you want.
    I am not however completely familiar with using it on Android, but that is one I'd be inclined to check out if you can in fact use it on your chromebook.

To get full visibility, it might be useful to try the android forum here for guidance/suggestions re apps that will fulfill your needs.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019