What's on your Surface Pro Shopping List?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MonkeyMickey, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MonkeyMickey

MonkeyMickey Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

Given that the Pro is almost finally here, I'm curious how people are intending to use it and what they have bought or are going to buy to support their usage scenarios. The Pro is the device I've been waiting for, in that I'm able to replace pretty much everything I use with the minimum of compromise.

I'll be using it for:

Work - With a portable usb monitor and bluetooth mouse/keyboard while at my desk. Simply unplugging the monitor and using the touch cover/pen for meetings with one note. It will also be my main presentation device when pitching/debriefing to clients.

Entertainment - plugged into the home cinema for movies and music via a mini-dp to HDMI adapter

Photography - plugged into my dell 27" WQHD monitor in the study and using a USB3 1TB hard drive for lightroom (already tested and works very well)

So what I've bought so far:

Dell U2713HM Monitor to connect via DP (and USB 3 hub built in)
    Microsoft wedge mouse
    Logitech K810 bluetooth keyboard
    1TB bus powered USB 3 external drive
    USB 3 Flash drives
    USB3 7 port hub for when connected to the home cinema
    Mini DP to HDMI and VGA dongles
    USB3 Card reader (to read my CF cards)
    64gb micro sdxc card
    A nice crumpler bag that fits all of the mobile kit I need

Things I still need to buy:

USB monitor - I was going to get the lenovo LT1421, but they've just announced a USB 3 version with touch, higher resolution and a wacom digitiser - the LT1423P. I don't think I'll bother with the wireless version as it is not out until June and has considerable lag

Touch cover - given I have the BT keyboard, I'll just go with the touch I think
    Bluetooth speaker (maybe the logitech mini boombox) for tunes and presenting on the fly.
    Mobile projector (probably the 3M MP410)

It's amazing that all of the mobile kit in my bag will still weigh less than the current laptop I have to lug around for work !

Thought this might help pass the time while we wait for the pre-orders to come available.

Mickey

2. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow that is a big shopping list!

For me I am mainly interested in the portability of the unit for basic work and as an art tablet. I have a few 128gb thumb drives, a few external drives, etc. so have the storage mostly taken care of. I also have a few penabled pens (never got an Axiotron, but I do have the Mobile Computing one).

So I will probably just be getting:

USB 3.0 flash drive (128 gb or higher) just for faster data transfer
    64gb micro sdxc card
    Wacom Bamboo Feel Penabled Pen (they look very nice)
    Screen Protector (Still looking at reviews before picking one)

I will be getting the 128 gb Surface pro with a touchtype keyboard (Which I already have).

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Man, I feel like such a piker! My list is miniscule by comparison. Already have touch cover and displayport to hdmi cable coming. The USB 3.0 HD is here, as wedge keyboard and mouse. I really would like to upgrade to a WQHD monitor, but for now the old Samsung 1920x1080 27" will have to do.

4. MonkeyMickey

Thanks - The worrying thing is that I've already bought most of it and had to explain to the wife why lots of random technology keeps turning up at the house and can't be used until the Surface Pro arrives !

It was hard enough convincing her that I needed a new computer, but seeing as I've been talking about it since it was announced in June, I think she just wants it to arrive now so I'll finally shut up !

Mickey

5. MonkeyMickey

How is the wedge keyboard? I was really close to getting that until I saw the new logitech k810? I still went back and forth deciding for a while before finally deciding. I did like the idea of the case it comes with, but the back lighting on the logitech sold it to me in the end.

Mickey

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I want one of these for my workstation (which for my needs can't be replaced by the surface pro). Thanks, I didn't know there was anything like this other than the bulky expensive Cintiq.

7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a 3Tb usb 3 hard drive, a usb 3 64Gb stick, a Dell touch screen (old) monitor and 4 spare stylusesusus's. That's a lot of stylus. I've never really bothered with USB 3 but I suppose that it was time to update. For me it'll be a laptop replacement (HP 8470p already gone), general media device, mild gaming and serious VM testing. Of course, it goes without saying, that I'm wondering about battery life. Time will tell as I need something to do work on.

8. dstrauss

I don't think the Logitech was out when I bought the Wedge - I really like it because: it has a nice touch feel; the cover doubles as a stand; and when you put it back on it shuts off the keyboard. What I really like is the wedge mouse - very small, very accurate, and the surface accepts scroll input (not Windows 8 gestures, but much quicker scrolling).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  9. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...I really like it...>>

Damn you, dstrauss!! I had been successfully ignoring both of these products up to this point. Now I will have to go and take another look at them.

My CC will likely take another hit (grumble, grumble...)...

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally, I already have a VGA cable, HDMI cable, HDMI to DVI adapter, and 3.5mm audio cable in my bag, so in that department, I'll only need a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI and mini-DisplayPort to VGA.

Everything else I would need I already have. My desktop monitor has a DisplayPort connection and I already have a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for that. I already have a Type and Touch Cover. I already have a USB/Bluetooth desktop mechanical keyboard (KBtalking Pro,which can switch between up to 10 devices) and USB/Bluetooth mouse at my desk (a Razer Orochi, which comes with me when I travel too). I probably wouldn't use USB for either of those with the Surface, just to minimize the amount of things I have to plug in when I sit at my desk. I also dug out an old Bluetooth A2DP to 3.5mm adapter for the same reason, so I don't have to plug in the audio cable when at my desk. And then I also already have a 500GB USB3.0 HDD, and a 32GB USB3.0 flash drive.

I've also already got a day-to-day backpack (a Kata LPS-116) which is the perfect size for a tablet like the Surface, and a larger backpack for travelling with when I need to bring all of my gear (a Kata DR-466i).

So yeah, other than the video adapters, which I'll probably get from Microsoft just because I find that the the official ones work better with the RT because of the angled tablet edge, I'm covered for anything I could possibly need. Then again, I guess what that really means is I've just spread all these purchases out over the years. ;)

Edit: Oh, and I'll also need to pick up Office 2013. In my testing of the preview and in my use of it on the Surface RT, I find that it makes enough of an improvement to be worth it for me. I just haven't decided if I'll be getting the subscription or the one-time purchase (and single-PC license) version yet.

11. dstrauss

Just doing my part for the economy my friend...(it is the best pairing I've used with my Samsung S7S)

DISPLAY PORT USERS

Is the high resolution (2560x1440) worth the price - looks like $750 plus for a Dell; Apple is in the stratosphere ($999)?

12. oscarlucy

oscarlucy Scribbler - Standard Member

No need to spend wads of cash for a 27" high quality 2560x1440 monitor - look here:

(Reviewed) $400 2560x1440 IPS no-AG 90hz+ Achieva Shimian QH270 and Catleap Q270

There quite a few Korean-made 2560x1440 IPS displays that utilize the same panel as those found in the Dell Uxx11's and Apple Cinema Displays. I have 2x of the Achieva Shimian ones - best $560.00 I ever spent for TWO 2560x1440 monitors (it was $280.00 per).

I'm a big member of the OCN forums and was one of the first to take the plunge on those monitors, and it was WELL worth it. Both were received in perfect condition, shipped from South Korea within 3 days and have been running perfect for almost exactly 1 year now. And yes....2560x1440 is ABSOLUTELY worth it! Once you go past 1920x1080, there is simply no going back....i've got a GTX 690 driving both displays in my desktop, though I only use one while gaming at the highest settings.

13. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you don't want to buy from an eBay vendor in Korea, Microcenter also has a rebranded version in their stores (and online), Niveus has a rebranded version, and it looks like Monoprice will soon be selling a rebranded version.

It's slightly more expensive that way (my Microcenter one was $400), but to me it was worth it to buy locally in case of a problem. Plus, the Korean ones mostly only have a single dual-link DVI port and ONLY accept 1440p (no internal scaler). The one I got from Microcenter has HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, and VGA, and supports more resolutions, from 720p up through 1440p.

14. dstrauss

jhoff80 - that's great - guess I better get one on order then. Do you need a special cable for dual-link DVI as opposed to straight display port?

May have to go eBay - Microcenter is local pickup only and its 350 miles to Dallas...

15. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How about considering this screen: Dell U2913WM @ 2560x1080 - Crazy screen and I have it right in front of me but despite having a dual link dvi cable it 'still' wants a DP cable (1.2). It's very looonnggg (But 2560x1440 does sound good!)

DVI-I seems to be ok all the way up to 1920x1200 but did not handle 2560x1080. Go for the best with DP 1.2. (My dual link cable is only just ok)
    Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

Sorry about the wallpaper

16. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had a Dell U2711 for about 2 years now. Its not the high resolution that I bought it for, but the pre-calibration and color accuracy for work in programs like photoshop. As much as I like the Apple Cinema display, its uses white LEDs so the colors are not as accurate.

I looked at several other monitors that provided this resolution. It depends on your needs, really. If all you want is a monitor that will output that resolution, I would say go for the cheaper ones. If you want something with top-notch color accuracy and clarity - look at the Dells.

I personally have seen the Achieva Shimian and I wasn't a fan. But what appeals and doesnt appeal to my eyes may be different to someone else. For me, the increased price of the Dell was worth it. I managed to get mine for $779 w/ 3 year warranty and damage coverage. This was back when the monitor was $1,199.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  17. oscarlucy

The only thing different between a Shimian and a U2711 is the price, the available ports, and the fact that Shimians DO NOT have anti-glare coating....that is a HUGE upgrade when compared to a U2711. Once you look at an IPS screen with anti-glare coating that really ruins the colors (in my opinion) vs. an IPS screen without anti-glare coating, it's hard to go back.

They use the same IPS panels, except the Shimians, if you don't buy a "pixel perfect" one, may come with a dead pixel or two. Normally, the eBay sellers will charge $30-50 extra to guarantee you a "perfect pixel" one, which is well worth it.

Otherwise, I have 2 pixel-perfect Shimians that I got for $200+ less than the price of a discounted U2711 @ $780.00 or a brand new one at $1,000-1,100 (before taxes). It's hard to make a case for any $750+ 2560x1440 IPS monitor at this point when there are so many compelling options out there, unless one cares about the Dell brand. Again, my opinion.

18. dstrauss

Thanks for all the input folks:

oscarlucy - one more question - if the Shimians only have dual DVI input, will I be able to get full 2560x1440 out of the Surface Pro mini-display port? I'm seeing a lot of Shimian dealer adds that say they are not compatible with onboard or APU graphics.

PS - what kind of dog is that you are holding?

19. oscarlucy

Not me in the picture, lol...

And also, a lot of the Shimian dealers say that a lot of onboard graphics/APUs aren't compatible with the monitor because a lot of them can't output a resolution of 2560x1440. However, you can just get a DP to dual link DVI adapter and output 2560x1440 just fine - the Intel HD 4000 is certainly capable of that.

20. dstrauss

Well, the Shimian sure have a great price - multiple vendors under $350; also saw a brand called "Crossover" that has displayport, dual dvi, and HDMI in, although runs $450-600. They do offer Square Trade warranty on it for $69.

Do you recall the name of the vendor who sold you the monitors?
    How do you find "pixel perfect" monitors?