what's in this moment the best handwriting recognition software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by UgoUgo, Feb 12, 2019.

1. UgoUgo

UgoUgo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi dears, I have finally a laptop with pen, the Yoga 730 with Actve Pen 2.
    I did not find any app installed which can take handwritten notes and convert them in text. Only OneNote, but the results are horrible... I do not understand how can anybody use it.
    I am downloading ritepen. And I have myscript under radar, I would buy it if there is nothing better.
    what can you suggest?

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nebo.app (I think it's by the myscript folks) seems to work well.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I did not find any app installed which can take handwritten notes and convert them in text. Only OneNote, but the results are horrible... I do not understand how can anybody use it...>>

@UgoUgo You can train Windows and OneNote to do a better job recognizing and converting your handwriting. Windows has a continuous learning mode for handwriting recognition that is apparently on by default. However, it may take some time to produce improved results.

Earlier versions of Windows had a Control Panel link to a focused handwriting recognition function. However, I was surprised to discover that the link apparently no longer appears in the current versions of Windows 10 (Build 1809, for example). Fortunately, you can still get to the function by creating a shortcut on your desktop. See this webpage video:

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-1...nalization-shortcut-on-desktop-in-win-10.html

After you create the shortcut, click on it to start the ShapeCollector function

• Once you do, you will see the following options appear:
    (Text courtesy of LoveMySurface site)

[​IMG]

At this point, you have a choice to make. You can either…

• Target Specific Recognition Errors: Do this if you’re having problems with Windows recognizing a specific letter, number, or symbol. For example, if it keeps confusing your “0’s” with “D’s” (as shown below). After you select this option, you will be given more options to help narrow down what your Surface needs to learn in order to recognize your writing.
    • Teach The Recognizer Your Handwriting Style: Do this if Windows is making all kinds of mistakes. Be aware that this will be a lengthy process as it will require you to provide over 50 different handwriting samples to learn how you write.

[​IMG]

Once you’ve chosen an option, just follow the on-screen instructions. At the end of the process, don’t forget to save the changes when prompted to do so. If you don’t, you’ll have to do it all over again.

After you finish, though, Windows and OneNote should make fewer mistakes when trying to interpret your handwriting.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You could always try Nebo.

5. Kevin Saptel

Kevin Saptel Pen Pal - Newbie

I also want an app that can be installed to convert handwritten notes. If there is a free version available?

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

I agree. So far Nebo is the best & (only?) HWR on Win 10. I use it in tandem with OneNote.

I have both on my Surface & Note 5 and it sync via Dropbox. For an investment of a few dollars, it is well worth it .

The Win 10 TIP has an awesome inking panel that you can use for ink to text or click the mic button for voice to text.