What's HP's usual product refresh rate?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Pootmatoot, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Pootmatoot

Pootmatoot Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm definitely planning to get one of these little beauties, but don't really *need* one until Octoberish (I'm happy with my desktop/Cintiq combo at the moment, but am heading off to a lot of international work and need a mobile replacement).

Although my inner art-geek wants one now, what's the likelihood of a major revamp coming in the next 6 months, given HP's history? Will the model available be likely a better beast of such significance to delay purchase (or will it just be one notch further up the ATI ladder and an extra 20gig of HD space)?

Cheers!

2. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a processor update the new 2010 intel i series of processors by that time, which is a fairly significant update.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They went a little long with the tx2 before launching the tm2, about 14 months so a tm2 refresh for Christmas time might be in order. Time is ALWAYS your friend in the technology world so if you can wait then of course.

But I'm glad I picked up my tm2 when I did. Unless something is dramatically improved like the screen I'll probably skip any refresh.

4. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

You know with the new Macbook update, I can see why HP possibly didn't go with the i-series processors. Supposedly the 13" Macbook just couldn't get the Core i processors because of heat dissipation, and perhaps the tm2 would face the same issue. If nothing else, it would probably not be able to handle the heat of a dedicated video card and a Core i processor.

5. Jonno2343

Jonno2343 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, as far as I see, the HP Elite 2740p is the i5/i7 version of the tm2.
    No dedicated graphics card though, probably for the reason that jkenny gave.
    I doubt there'll be a refresh until Intel releases a new ULV processor.
    My 2c.

6. Jonno2343

Jonno2343 Pen Pal - Newbie

7. impreZzA

impreZzA Scribbler - Standard Member

I am fully agreeing with you Pootmatoot, I am also planning to get one but I am torn if its worth waiting cause actually I have no need for tm2 until august.

I am still hoping there will be some updates respectively some minor changes, even if its just an display update.

Concerning the new ulv processors, I think HP dont want to put this powerful part into the tm2, many people would swap over to tm2 from 2740p.

Nonetheless I hope Waiting is worth it :)

8. CKtalon

CKtalon Pen Pal - Newbie

However, isn't the 2740p aimed at business users, while the tm2 is aimed at consumers?

I have no real need for it till September too, and am torn whether I should just get one in June or wait all the way till September..

9. impreZzA

impreZzA Scribbler - Standard Member

@CKtalon, yeah u are right the 2740 is aimed for business and tm2 is for consumer.

I mean what are the features which make an notebook/tablet a business one, just the fact that there is no dedicated dedicated graphic card available?

I agree with you that the design could be a criteria to classify s.th into a business area.

Last but not least there is one thing that makes a laptop a business one, the price :)

!

*Surprise*

I have just found this on engadget:

Lets hope that the tm2 will profit by this update :)

So our patience could be worth anything!