What USB DVD drive is compatible with the Surface Pro 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by tallshorty, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

The USB amp output from the Surface Pro 3 I read somewhere is <1 Amp so it can't power my current USB DVD drive which requires 1.6A. It came with a cable to plug into a secondary USB for power but since the SP3 only has one USB 3.0 it won't work.

Anyone know a compatible USB DVD drive?

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why don't you plug the second USB cable into the USB charging socket on the charger?

3. tallshorty

That's not a bad idea but it is inconvenient and I don't always bring the charger with me.

4. vancamp

vancamp Pen Pal - Newbie

I would be surprised if it really required 1.6A. A standard USB-2 only provides 500mA, so even 2 of them wouldn't produce 1.6A. Do you already have the SP3 and your existing drive doesn't work?

5. Romer

Romer Pen Pal - Newbie

I had issues with my USB DVD drive. Since I have a network at home I just used my DVD drive on my tower to load programs onto my Surface

This wouldn't solve your issue if you want to use it on the go. A good question, I may end up getting the right drive as well

6. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Buffalo USB blu ray drive and it will not power on when connected to the SP3. I had the same issue when I had my SP2 but oddly enough, it works just fine when connected to the SP1 and my rMBP. Luckily, I travel with a portable power pack so I connect the extra USB cable to that to give it the juice that it needs.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I thought the USB3 standard was to provide more power to connected devices. My LG DVD Slim does not receive enough power to run properly. It connects/disconnects repeatedly. It works on my Elitepad and even my Dell V8P for crying out loud.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Surface Pro line has always under volted their USB Ports, I've used Y cables most of the time and have plugged the power cable into the Power Brick.

9. tallshorty

Yes I have the S3 already. It doesn't work with my LG slim DVD drive. Like another poster says it connects and disconnects constantly. It appears that SP3's USB has less power than my SP2 because the drive occasionally works. Also the DVD drive works fine with my girlfriends Yogo Pro 2

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Then it isn't really what USB3 was supposed to be unless the standard has been updated. Now I know why it doesn't have the blue spacer bar inside. It may be USB3 data speed capable but it isn't what "USB3" was intended to be.