What tablet would you buy today if you had unlimited play around money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jul 18, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While to a degree I think some of those concerns would be unavoidable, but I don't think it would nearly as much as an issue. Its a fantasy idea based on the concept of having an unlimited budget, so even if things go messed up or broken, with the unlimited budget I wouldn't really care since it would be easy to buy new ones. If anything it would be an opportunity to get new products or try options form the Wacom competitors.

But we are also the Niche, and such a place I envisioned would likely cater to the digital art/tablet PC niche. The vast majority of people still view Digital Drawing as amazing and a "New thing"...more so because of the sudden uptick in iPad drawing, but literally most people, even tech savy people are someone ignorant and oblivious to digital art and how longs its been a thing outside of the iPad. So I like to think the people my fantasy center would attack would not only be better informed, but more appreciative. And there are limits to what they can mess up. It would be an easy thing to fit every device with screen protectors, order extra nibs, extra pens, etc. Paint and traditional art mediums are messy by nature, digital art not so much. Worse case a pen breaks or someone cracks a screen, I'd just buy a new one.

Now without an unlimited budget, this would be a very different story.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ahhh, the Utopian Creative Commons. Or.., basically Instagram. (aka today's Deviantart.) It's really not that hard for kids to gain access to digital drawing gear. Great work can be achieved on low-end equipment, plus the acquisition is half the joy/lesson.

Like the minor leagues.

Personally, I find those places are lots of fun, but very little notable mettle is forged, (or is expected. It's just valuable play time). -Lots of big dreams, pretty concept art and gushy teen romance cover design, but not much in the way of worldly wisdom, scripting chops, editorial oversight and actual narrative output. Which is fine, but when you grow up.., you learn that making something worthy of wide distribution is ridiculously difficult, so I'd want pros (young or old) with bright souls and sharp minds who know how to grind, -but who under my benevolent dictatorship would also have the assurance of sane direction, good working conditions and steady paychecks.

But sure.., I'd be open to something akin to the Xerox Park or Bell Labs of art. Like early Disney. Or a modern day Pixar.

Though.., now I'm just blue skying like a fool while the tablet aspect is rapidly shrinking into footnote territory.

Annnnnd..,

I should really get back to work myself.

WillAdams and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As much as I hate Deviant Art, Instagram is almost a worse platform for art. Don't even get me started on their shadowbaning policies.

But I do want to clarify, we're coming at this from different ends. I'm working under the assumption of the unlimited budget, I'd rather have a place to facilitate fun, creativity and inclusive to everyone who wants to try. I'm not really envisioning something like a company from a corporate sense.

Now I would admit, digital drawing is much more affordable then its ever been with $500-ish pen options from iPads, cheap windows 2-in-1's, etc I still know more then a fair share of artists who really can't even afford their rent let alone splurge on a iPad & Pencil. I'm coming at this from a NYC/NJ perspective, and actually even more so then the price, its also a matter of the space. Some of my friends live in living conditions most of us would deem unlivable. I've seen closets repurposed into bedrooms, and studio apartments barley larger then a car. Even away from the city deeper in the more suburban parts of the garden state, I know some people who share bedrooms with multiple people, with cloths lines or shower curtains repurposed into room dividers among their futons. Artists in those situations, I think could really benefit from such a space.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think though that a combination of thatcomicsguy and the manga-ka in crazycat's video is the way forward. Hire people in to work on your project and then they can have free access with high level equipment outside work hours. If they mistreat the equipment - they're out.

What you'll notice from the video though is small numbers - the moment you have more than 6-8 people accessing free equipment you need eyes in the back of your head to notice theft / misuse of equipment or poor workmanship. If I have a small group using tablets - it's fine but anything over 10 and you are asking for expensive trouble.

I understand your altruism but for example - our college wouldn't ever buy tabletpcs so I donated my very first one - an ex-business Fujitsu T4210 bought pre-damaged off ebay. That thing already had a broken keyboard and a hole in the case at the top when I bought it but it has survived 11 years and hundreds of students jabbing at the screen to draw digital art. Makes me wonder what the business people who had it did before I bought it...

Anyhow, in the same time, we've bought and replaced large numbers of intuos pads, pens etc. Some had pen holders designed to have the pen inserted one way only and art students managed to destroy the holders (often at first use) by mindlessly pushing/pulling the pens in the wrong way. I just think most people will never treat free equipment the way it should be and although the premise is unlimited budget, you'd start to see frustration as people destroy equipment repeatedly. This also brings up the Wacom alternatives in bad light because they often don't make replacement parts - my recent discussion with crazycat on another thread about a student's Ugee tablet - my student can't get replacement pens for his tablet. Wacom parts are replaceable so you wouldn't keep buying alternatives for your free cafe.

Sorry, I'm just cynical and I've seen free donated equipment and goods abused (when my town got flooded in 2015) by bad people. So.... what would you do about the inevitable case of bad people coming in, picking up a couple of screens and taking them downtown to resell? Or does unlimited budget mean you wouldn't worry about that?

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Jeez.

Skip equipment access. Those kids need to save up for a bus ticket, duffel bag and a month's youth hostel cash to get started in a new community, far, far away from insane-ville.

There's time enough for drawing tablets after you get the essentials worked out.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Speaking of "unlimited play around money", we're only one week removed from Apple's next event! Apple watch 6, please be amazing.

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Can this be fictitious? If so, that tablet would be a hypothetical Surface Pro 8 featuring AMD's rumored Van Gogh APU. Per the grape vine, this APU is a custom, presumably vendor specific processor that has Zen 2, just like the Ryzen 4000 APUs. The big difference is it has an integrated Navi GPU just like the new Xbox Series S and X do. My theory: it would make sense that, to harmonize their hardware and play up their Xbox brand strength, Microsoft would advertise how their Surface lineup also shares the same latest class-leading graphics. That's my hope, at least. :) Other wishes? The usual things all of us have begged for here: Wacom EMR, thin bezels, Thunderbolt 3, stylus charging silo, OLED display, removable battery, user upgradeable SSD, etc.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:) Thanks for the advertising Joe...even us serial technology abusers have to pay for the habit at times...

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  10. JoeS

I just got a tagline for your store "Welcome to Strauss castaway goods, your source for yesterday's technology. And we mean literally yesterday."