What tablet would you buy today if you had unlimited play around money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jul 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh good point!! I'll hang on to my Sony for now. Still, if I was feeling wasteful, a Note2 it would be.

violajack likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Honestly, after giving this some thought I have to say I’d get a ThinkPad X1 Extreme (OLED)... which is what’s already shipping to me August 6th. Difference is, if budget was no issue I would wait for Gen 3, kit it out with max RAM & storage, and I wouldn’t have to wait months or a year for absurd coupons to bring it down into my price range, less than half of the Macbook Pro-like retail price.

Of course, give it a year and there will be new and lustworthy alternatives out there and my dream machine will change. Such is the life of a gadget-loving geek.

doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

Amen!! :D

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sign of the true geek, what's good enough NOW is a pile of rubbish in 12 months time and needs replacing. I feel your pain.

dellaster likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

ConceptD9 Ezel cuz I'm a size whore...

I would definitely skip all the Intel Lakefield nonsense. I ain't paying premium for ****e performance. So no Lenovo X1 Fold or whatever.

I would prolly also go for Samsung Galaxy S7 as well.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes! Love e-ink. A Boox Note2 or a Max is fine by me.

JoeS likes this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm at a complete loss at what Intel are doing with CPUs. Who are Intel actually focusing on or listening to in terms of their design aspirations?

Shogmaster likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Unlimited tech budget....what a fun thread....should go without saying, but naturally everything would be the highest specd model.

For Products currently released...

Wacom Cintiq 16 Pro....I’ve been biding my time waiting for a more affordable 16 ish-inch pen display with multitouch, but if money was no issue, instant purchase.

Hades Canyon NUC (100w)....don’t need it anymore, but I still want it.

Surface Studio 2...not to replace me desktop, but it would make a great general house PC to keep in the living room.

AcerDConcept 9...mainly because it’s an EMR powerhouse. 45w i9 CPU, and RTX 2080 graphics, it’s really the most powerful Tablet PC since the Viao Z canvas.

MacBook Pro 16 (i9), with Apple iPad 12.9 with magic keyboard, largest iPhone they have, and the Apple Watch. I want a Mac to learn X-code, but it would be nice for a change to flaunt the Apple brand at coffee shops when they reopen and Pretend to be a Mac cultist from time to time.

....now as far products that will hopefully be released soon

Surface Pro 8
    Surface Duo
    The Arm based MacBook
    Galaxy Fold Z2 (provided it does have an spen)

Smiley, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

Yes and yes! I wanted those a while back, totally forgot. But on unlimited budget, I'm in! :thumbsup:

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

With a Truly Unlimited play around budget:

A studio full of Cintiq animation stations, a house staff of elite animators, story-boarders, background artists and brilliant writers, a full recording studio with orchestra, and a genius media promotions team. Then.., watch out world!

For a semi-realistic unlimited play around budget...

I'd pick up a bunch of top-o-the-line hardware including the bleeding edge eInk tech out of factory parts, hire a couple of brilliant engineers and task them with building the Ultimate Super-Low Latency eInk Drawing Station. Black & White and Color models, of course. Maybe even start a high-end vanity business to sell units to pencil and ink snobs like me!

For a boring actually attainable 'unlimited' play around budget...

I'd pick up the latest Samsung 15.6" Flex, along with the 24" and the 32" Cintiq Pro models, see which of those two I liked best, return the unused one and spend the surplus on a killer desktop to run things. (I'd also open up the Cintiq and disconnect the fan. And if that screwed up the LCD, I'd buy another one, leave the fan intact and instead turn up the MP3 player.)

That last option is within reach if I belt-tighten for a year, but I'm actually fairly satisfied with my current gear.

doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.