What tablet would you buy today if you had unlimited play around money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jul 18, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

While most of us are still cooped up because of Covid-19, why not dream a bit about devices we'd like to add to our collection. Which tech are you interested in but can't rationalize buying?

For me it's a short list:
    - Surface Pro X: it's got compatibility issues, OK-ish battery life, and it's kind of heavy. And yet, I totally want one. It's just so darned sleek! Plus I kind of like WOA. :eek:
    - Surface Go 2 m3: I would love something lighter to carry around the house than my Galaxy Book 2.
    - Boox Max 3 or Boox Note2 e-ink: both have Android 9, so dealing with files should be way easier than on my Sony DPT-RP1. Which to pick though, 13" or 10", no backlight or backlight, headphone jack or no headphone jack? Tricky..

I think that's it for me, still happy-ish with my X1Y3, as in "I haven't found anything exciting to replace it with", still OK with my iPad Pro 10.5, still OK with my iPhone XS. Pretty shocking :p

What say you guys*, any exciting tech you'd get right now if you didn't care about money?

* This includes gals

Suggestions by others below:
    - Samsung Tab S7+
    - X1 Fold
    - Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16
    - Acer ConceptD9 Ezel Pro
    - Dell XPS 15 with 4K display
    - 11 inch iPad Pro with pencil and magic keyboard
    - Surface Book 15" + Studio 2 combo
    - ThinkPad X1 Extreme (OLED)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I would add the Samsung Tab S7+ to your list, I will say that the Pro X (other than the current issue I'm having) is one of the best Tablets I've used.

I will also admit that the iPad Pro 2020 with the Magic Keyboard is sexy...but I can't see myself ever really using it

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Lenovo X1 Fold.
    If it was available.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well sure! :D And also a Surface Neo while we're contemplating unreleased devices :thumbsup:

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A soupçon of difference is that the X1 Fold actually exists, they are just waiting for the pandemic to recede before putting it in stores.

JoeS likes this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16 --- I'd buy a dozen of them and donate them to folks in the opensource movement to get the best possible Linux support.

7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Acer ConceptD9 Ezel Pro for me thanks, much as I love my zbook I would like the extra screen real estate that comes with the Acer. I'm tempted by the more reasonably priced Acer ConceptD7 Ezel Pro but as money is not a consideration right now - I could plump for the 17 inch monster.

For my daughter, I'd get her a Dell XPS 15 with 4K display for her computing, she's really enjoying learning about coding and she has no interest in creating art so she'd be happy.

For my partner - she's an iPad convert - so an 11 inch iPad Pro with pencil and magic keyboard.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe we should limit the hypothetical a little, as with unlimited money, I'd probably just buy Microsoft, Wacom, Samsung and the whole lot of them, fire all their executives, and finally have them release a tablet that isn't rage-inducing. :p

But if we're talking more serious (say <$10000), probably a Surface Book 15" + Studio 2 combo?

As much as the hardware potential is totally wasted by stale Windows software, the design and workflow just screams 'Star Trek' futuristic...and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. ;)

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For decades, one thing which my co-workers and I liked to do when Apple announced a new product line was to configure the ultimate machine and see how much it cost (usually ~$100,000) --- Moore's Law has resulted in even very modest machines being far more capable than what was once barely dreamt of, and I'm writing this out on a Samsung Galaxy Book 12, which if I could just update to a current version of Windows and still be able to select text w/ a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus in a way that I could find workable would be perfectly fine for me (aside from the stupidity of trying to out-bright the sun on a battery powered device to achieve daylight viewability).

10. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

My first thought was also the Pro X. I want one, but can't justify the expense based on the question of continued support.

I've got a Boox note2 on my Amazon wish list right now. I'm thinking I might actually get the smaller one, but it seems like we're so close to color eInk, I don't think this is the right time to buy a premium eInk tablet without color.

If I were really looking to blow money, I may just update my first gen big iPad to the latest one. But my current one still works fine. It's not worth $1000+ just to go to USB-C for me right now.

Smiley and JoeS like this.